Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Husky

Default Any Sib Husky owners that can give me some info

I am a new owner to my lovly Husky Kona. She is very quit and very content on doing every thing. I try to go for walks with her every day last night we went for a 7 km walk and that afternoon we went for a 9.5 km walk. That is around the distance we go. I need help with easy training like to call her and she comes in case she gets off her leash. I understand that Huskys have a mind of there own and this can be a problam but does any one have any good ones that they can share
Old 04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Calling when called is the most important thing you can teach your dog. I know it has saved my dog from running into a street full of cars at least once.
It also may be a little hard to teach.

Here is a link to teaching a reliable recall:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...002/recall.htm

It does take a while and consitence on your part. Just be patient and remember that this is a VERY important thing to teach.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Good luck! My husky is the only dog i won't let off leash. She is a sneaky little brat She was fine when she was younger but now if she gets loose its usually an hour of chasing her through mudd or rain or whatever else. She never runs from me on nice days. She listens inside thogh. Maybe find a really big place inside you can practice with.
Here she is http://www.dogster.com/?23131
Old 04-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Top Dog

If you go onto any husky site they recommend that you DONT let them off leash, you can train them recall and possibly 9/10 they may come back, but there WILL be a day they totally ignor you and take off, and this could be the day you lose that dog pernamently, huskies are renowed for running away when allowed off lead.

Mo
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Playful Husky Pup

I agree with Moe some Sibes just can't be off their leash in an open area. Most of my property is fenced in but there is a small field between the end of the pasture to the woods. A few of Sibes can be off leash in this area of my property and I know they won't go anywhere and react well to my voice commands. But they others I just don't want to chance it its frustrating when your screaming for them to come back and they just keep on running like their def...... So in my opinion just keep her on her leash and in the future if you feel bonded enough to her that you KNOW she won't leave your side no matter what (this is hard for any Husky) then let her off it but only if your sure. Good luck.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie