My german shepherd "chief" is skiddish

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to having a dog. About a month ago I got a german shepherd, Chief. I got him when he was 3 months old, and he was kinda shy. He is not shy of me, but when around strangers he will growl and bark a little bit. Today, I had him in a neutral territory and a complete stranger walked up to him to pet him. He peed on the ground and acted terrified. I take him on regular walks, and socialize him with several other dogs and people. I have heard that he will grow out of this shyness, but it is scaring me. Is there anything I can do to stop him from acting scared? Any advice/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

TheMrs

How old is he now? Mine is a german shepherd rot I got her at around 3 months too. She used to be really shy around people and would (pee) piddle. Take him everywhere. That is the only advice I can give. We started taking Ces everywhere and she is so friendly now....well until someone walks in the house that didn't knock (we have friends that do that no biggy) She'll growl and bark at first till she sees who it is. She grew out of it around 6-8 months. She would go to school with me to pick up my daughter, on walks to the park, drives to pick my hubby up from work then walks to show her off while there. She adores the attention. I wouldn't worry to much,.

Debi

I agree..just keep taking him everywhere. My shepherd is not socialized, and that is so bad. On my daily basis...not a big deal cause he is such a big baby with me...but if someone comes, he goes crazy. Mine doesn't just get nervous, he acts like he'll rip your head off. How long have you had your dog?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The more you socialize, the less things will be so scary..you just got to go out there and be in the moment. My friend Kelly had a sharpeii/lab mix that was very aggresive as a pup and i thought she had lost a bit taking this dog in..but she made extra effort to take her dog out to people and parks, gave people treats to give to Fergi..and now Fergi spends every morning it is not raining at the dog park with everybody, dogs and people alike.

gsd

I have had him for a little bit over a month. He's 17 weeks old now. I take him just about everywhere with me, but he goes in his crate while I sleep. Today my sister acted like she was going to hit me and he jumped in my lap and growled at her...but he didnt act like he was going to bite.

Just keep taking him places, reassuring him when he meets new people and dogs and letting him know you're very proud of him. That's what a German Shepherd lives for. He's still a baby and has a lot of growing up to do. But enjoy him being a baby for awhile.

The Training forum is a great place to go when you've got questions like this; Emma, our Creature Teacher, will see it there and can give you very good advice and techniques to use with your pup. Just ask BigDogs!

bubbatd

I read into this that you may have gotten him in during the fear factor stage ...8 weeks....that is why they now recommend sending a puppy home a 7 weeks or waiting until they are 9 weeks......at 8 weeks they are fearful of sudden and loud sounds and movement..and are cautious of anything new in the environment (" How to Raise a Puppy you can live with "- quote)

Members online

No members online now.