Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Quigleyfied

When I checked out the curricula of the veterinary colleges in the US, I found that the average time nutrition courses take up is 2-3 credit hours, often only during one semester. That's not a whole lot of time.

What's even sadder is that these nutrition courses aren't even focused on specific species - they include dogs, cats, poultry, horses, cattle, swine, sheep and so on. It's more of a broad overview of nutrition in general rather than discussing specific needs. (I've completed such a course.)

Those vets who actually have a solid knowledge of nutrition (which are very few, the majority relies on information from companies like Hill's etc.), have done their own research and completed further studies on the subject.

I agree that feeding is, or should be a huge part in caring for animals, but most people are pretty clueless in that regard and just rely on whatever BS the pet food industry feeds them.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
I doubt that they only spend a few days regarding nutrition, because that is a HUGE part in caring for an animal.
I know you WOULD think that, but it's not true. I am a student in the animal nutrition department of NCSU and the vet students have only taken a nutrition class as an undergrad (broad, like Mordy said--ruminants to small animals) and they only have one more in vet school, which is technically optional (some decide not to take it and fill another requirement like an extra oncology class, etc). It's really sad.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

This is also true with doctors for humans. Most are not educated in nutrition. There are so many things you can do by just changing your diet. Doctors are so quick to put you on some kind of drug. This is why I go to a holistic vet.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Show Dog

Here is a site you can look at it tells you were your dog food ranks from 1 star to 6 stars. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

It looks as if most Royal Canin only gets 2 stars.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Big Dog

I would say that the vets are generally in a relationship with the company, with plenty of "PERKS"
Old 04-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerowner
Here is a site you can look at it tells you were your dog food ranks from 1 star to 6 stars. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

It looks as if most Royal Canin only gets 2 stars.
Unfortunately that site is not very accurate. The person who runs it doesn't even have correct definitions for a lot of ingredients. I doubt he/she has ever even read an AAFCO publication.

It's really sad because the concept is good, but the "analysis" is just not worth much if you don't even know what exactly certain ingredients really are.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!