Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Big Dog

Actually, from what I hear that breed of dog is VERY intelligent. I did quite a bit of research on them because I was seriously considering adopting that breed of dog, that is, before I found my Bailey and fell in love at first sight.

As someone mentioned before, if your dog isn't learning a trick, you just have to go about it a different way. They simply aren't grasping the way you are trying to teach it. Don't be afraid to help her if she isn't understand.

You might want to consider obedience classes which encourage positive reinforcement. I know the humane society here offers them for only $50 for an 8 week beginning course, and you get a partial refund if you show up to all of them. They will be able to teach you effective methods to train your puppy.

Puppies take patience, but she'll get it. She must be beautiful, I LOVE Cavalier King Charles Spaniels!

Cindy
Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Show Dog

it shouldn’t be taking that long or any where near that long. But to be honest its properly your training not the dogs intelligence all the spaniel type dogs are intelligent although the Springer and Brittany can be stubborn.

My bcs usually take 15 mins to learn and new trick.

I suggest you read some books on how dogs learn because I really think its your training rather than the dogs intelligence.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Felurian

Sometimes a dog 'won't learn' because it simply doesn't want to do what you want it to do! You have to not only make it fun, but let the dog find out that doing what you ask pays off big in good attention.

I've also noticed that more intelligent dogs can tend to be more difficult to train. Certain things they will do immediately, but other things that they don't see a need to do - or just plain don't like to do - they will balk and act like they have no idea what you want from them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Show Dog

Or because your dog doesnt know what you want it do.

If your training is clear and consistant then it should pick it up extreamly quick You also need the motivation to get the will to learn. Just play keep it fun make your dog want to do it.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Playful Husky Pup

pretty much everything i would say has already been said but i just figured i would say this.

Theres no such thing as a stupid dog sweet heart.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
BusterLove

not meaning to be rude ... but this is ure first dog???
im 15 and ive had 6 already... plus about 7 rabbits, lots of fish, 3 cats and birds and horses.
how old r u... im just interested in noing
im sorry if i ofend u, none ment
Old 03-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Pits
pretty much everything i would say has already been said but i just figured i would say this.

Theres no such thing as a stupid dog sweet heart.
Oh, Pits! Haven't you ever met a dog that was just a lovable, dumb goof or a real scatterbrain? They're a lot like we are, they come in all degrees of "smartness" but, unlike us, they all have that huge capacity to love - so unless you need your dog to do specific things that require a certain intellectual capacity, it really doesn't matter if you've got a dog that's an intellectual titan or one that's a loving goob, lol!

One of the most delightful dogs I ever met was this gorgeous Irish Setter without a brain in her pretty head.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I wish Kelly was a member but she is soooo busy..she could tell you about her Dinky!
Dinky was her miracle baby like my Tate..almost died at birth..long recovery when everything should be growing great guns..they were just hanging on to life by a thread..and something got lost in the process..even the dullest pencils in the box have a purpose..the Monks of New Skete wrote a wonderful story about one of thei saints that was just that,,goofy and silly and they did't think he was going to work out at all..gee i wish i remembered where i read that in the end he did a good thing!