Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
I think my dog has seperation anxiety (or he doesn't like his crate). I got back from taking my daughter to the hospital this evening and it sounded like there was a petshop in our house he was barking uncontrollably. He shut up the minute I turned on the lights, and to my surprise he didn't pee in his crate (which he had been in for over 2 hours). He's been doing the barking thing ever since we got him but today was the first day that he has been in his crate while everybody was gone for over an hour without peeing (or leaving us another surprise). I'm so proud of him. He's going to puppy training classes too, and I have tried numerous different toys to keep him entertained but the toys don't seem to work for him.
You know, he just might be a bit claustrophobic - or whatever it's called in dogs. A puppy proofed room instead of crating might do wonders.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Yorkie & Jack Russell

Dominance down is when we sit down on the ground with the dog leashed and we pull it tight under our leg so the dog is forced to lay down beside us. Tippy spent most of the time with her butt in the air and whining but she eventually layed down. The reward is that when they lay down then the leash gets loosened for them. You're not to talk to them except an occassional "down" and not to touch them.. she said the goal is to out-stubborn them.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

Oh geez. I can't say I approve of that. I'd watch this trainer if I were you. Just remember; don't ever do anything to your dog that you wouldn't do to a child. There are so many other ways to tell your dog what you want, and if this trainer can't adapt to someone who wants to train positive, she's not worth what you're paying her.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Felurian

Amen to that, Emma! That credo should be inscribed in big red letters in every shelter, kennel, training area, etc.

Sounds more like "breaking" or bullying a dog than out-stubborning . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Big Dog

Yikes, I hate to say but I'd be scared that harsh training like that will end up making you dog worse. You should never try to dominate a scared dog, it only makes the dog more scared.