Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Active Pup

Default Urine PH, Evo

I have a question for those that feed Evo.
My Redbone was sick, we did bloodwork and x-rays and ua, we found that he has high PH (9) and lots of blood and Struvite Crystals. I was trying to see if others had fed Evo and had this problem. I know that feeding a diet high in plant material can cause high PH but that feeding a meat base diet was supposed to be acidic. I am trying to do some research in what I need to change for him diet wise. He is on Uroeez and Baytril and recheck in 1 week to look for where the PH is and for crystals.
Thanks
Claudette
Old 04-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Felurian

Mine have been on it since just shortly after it came out. No problems. Mordy can give you real information though, not just incidental personal experiences

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
bullie lover

No problems here either. Mojo's been on it for about 2 months now, and in fact I think his urine and fecal matter has gotten better... But I agree with Renee, Mordy is the true fountain of wisdom...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Quigleyfied

Urine pH is not just determined by plant material vs. meat in the diet.

I have 5 cats for example and one of them developed struvite crystals (and stones) even while eating Evo food, which should logically create acidic urine because it's so high in meat. There are other factors playing into that too though - my other 4 cats were perfectly normal.

I tried switching to a raw diet, cutting out dry food (which is important for both dogs and cats prone to crystals and stones, and not just struvites), but it didn't make a difference for him either.

I suggest you buy some pH test strips and monitor the urine closely while you work out your options.

The first vet I took my cat to told me he'd have to eat a prescription diet for the rest of his life, but that didn't sit well with me, so I've been trying other things. With a group of 5 whom I can't easily separate at mealtimes and two of them having other special needs as well, I'm quite limited, but currently things seem to have normalized on a mix of canned and dry food.

If you don't have to mess with a group of animals, it will be easier to figure out a feeding plan for your dog. I'd try a more moderate food that isn't quite as concentrated as the Evo and would stick with something with a higher moisture content for now.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!