Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

We got the Proheart injection for our dogs one summer, living in the upper mid-west we don't need year-round protection from fleas and ticks. This past fall our vet sent out a newsletter letting us know that the injection was no longer an option due to some bad, dangerous, reactions that some dogs were having. He assured us that these reactions happend soon after administering the drug so our animals would be fine.
So as far as I know they have/had pulled the injection from the market for the time being and the only other option is Heartgard. It will be interesting to see what kind of injection your vet is talking about.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Quigleyfied

sadly, not all dogs who died from this product died soon after being injected. here's a very useful site with a lot of information on the subject:

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Trained by an Airedale

I said I'd post again once I'd found out what the injection was the Vet recommended. They showed me the box and I gave a sigh of relief - Guardian SR - not ProHeart 6. However after research on the net I've found out that that is the license name in Europe....I was caught out by that one! In Australia they have ProHeart SR12 and this does protect for 12 months....over here we only get 6 months of mossie activity so they recommended one 6 month injection a year..... Like everyone has said on the board, in the US it has been withdrawn pending more investigation but not in any of the other countries. This article goes into all the detail - it is by the manufacturer though ! http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/vmac/FI...c#_Toc93048642

Old 03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Felurian

Good research, Martine! And double kudos for not being satisfied until you got to the bottom of things!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Big Dog

I have personally used the proheart sr12 here in Australia and it is fine we have not had any probs with it like the 6 month inj about 70% of our clients have there dog on this form of heartworm preventative and there are 2 that have shown adverse reactions which were treated very easily by an antihistimine every year when we give then the vacc we give them an anitihistimine as well then there are fine! I dont think sr12 is available anywhere else, but if it is I highly recommend it MY dogs are done every year with it .