Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Big Dog

Default started housetraining!!

okay.. i jus starting housetraining.. i had been pad training bcuz there been sno and cold weather here (mi.) until this week (very unpredictable) but ne way.. my dog never completely learned tha concept of jus going on tha pads.. i have a min pin (5 months on tha 29th) so it expected that hed be hard to housebreak.. but do dogs understand housetrainign when they cant go in tha house at all better then pad trainig?? bcuz he pees on his pads when he wants to rly.. and when do puppies begin to learn slower?? is 5 months too late?? thnx.. raymond
Old 03-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Island dweller

Personally, I don't think it's ever too late. And your dog is not 'set in his ways' yet.

He should be able to hold it for several hours now. Four or five probably. But you'll have to get him into a routine of when it's time to go outside and potty.

I'd start to take him out at the same time everyday key times being when he wakes up and after he eats and right before bed. Take a puppy pad outside with him and put it in the area where you want him to pee. He should start to associate that that is where he needs to go. Give him lots of praise when he goes and maybe a treat. Never punish him for doing it wrong (you know that).

And watch for signs that he's wanting to go potty: sniffing the floor, circling an area, looking at the door, trying to get your attention, whining...

If you catch him in the act of going inside don't yell at him just distract him to get him to stop, pick him up and take him to his pee spot.

Be consistent and patient and it will come eventually.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Lucy was a year old when we first got her and she wasnt trained. so you still have time in your favour, for sure

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 03-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Big German Shepherd

I'm still trying to house train Rocky (it's only been going on for 2 weeks) but it still can get extremely frustrating. So, I know how you're feeling about the house training. It can get rough.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Big Dog

lol thnx for ur hlp guys..