Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Active Pup

Default What book to get?

I am getting my puppy in two days (finally! after looking for 6 months!). I already have 4 books on the breed and how to raise them and other stuff but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a book to buy about training and other things concerning a new puppy. I like the information provided in my books but I also want one that goes more in depth on specific issues concerning puppies. Thanks in advance for any advice! I should have some pictures up soon!
Old 03-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Show Dog

No book i would go online and get articles there 100000s on this subject on the web and there free and to be honest there better than books.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Felurian

Bubbatd - who's raised quite a few good litters and is a storehouse of good advice - recommends "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" by David Neil and Clarice Rutherford.

I'll take her word on anything doggy, lol!

Emma, CreatureTeacher, can give you a good list as well.

As soon as I can, I'm going to pick up bubbatd's recommendation as well as a set of the books by the Monks of New Skete.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

I love "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With". Also, depending on how into dogs you are, here's a list starting from books I highly recommend (and I think are required reading for everyone!) down to non-essentials:

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training" by Pamela Dennison
"Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor (anything by this author)
"The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell (anything by this author)
"Clicking With Your Dog" by Peggy Tillman
"If a Dog's Prayers Were Answered, Bones Would Rain from the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier
"How to Speak Dog" by Stanley Cohen

If you need more, let me know. I have a whole library of ones I like and ones I don't!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

After posting my praises for "How to Raise............", I went on line and got their third edition...even better !! It has extended more into the new home and training etc. I also had 2 of the Monk's books I used. I wore out the 1st (1981) and 2nd editions ....had to laugh when the 3rd arrived yesterday !! I ordered it used and it had been chewed a bit on the corner !
Old 03-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for all the books and advice!