Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

Default ? How to get your pup to take treats nicely...

My hands are starting to suffer some serious damage. Gunnar is now 12 weeks of age and is being fed a RAW diet. Because of the fact that he swallows his RAW meal whole I have had to hold the chicken quarters in my hand to ensure that he eats a little at a time. Needless to say he is very enthusiastic about eating and even though it is in my hand he attempts to wolf it down but my hand is getting in his way!
This problem also occurs when I give him a treat, like a dog biscuit. Before he eats he needs to sit, wait, and then I hold the treat cupped in my hand and tell him to take it nice...he is having a really hard time with the take it nice command. Should I just not give him the treat/food if he bites my hand in the process? I was under the impression that dogs can distinguish your hand from the food, is this not true or does he just not care?
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Felurian

I wish I had a magic answer for you. The few times I've had that problem I've dealt with it by the "dammit - that was my hand you ungrateful little wretch" speech and that's pretty much taken care of it . . . By and large, though, I've been fortunate in having dogs with soft mouths, although Shiva will try to gobble every now and then if Kharma is sitting cheek-to-jowl with her when I'm giving treats.

Betcha Emma has a better answer!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Border Collie Lover

Hi I don't know if it's any help but one of my boys used to snatch. I used the same way you would teach a puppy not to mouth you. When he snatched I shouted OUCH really loud so that he would know he had hurt me (even if he hadn't). this seemed to work really well and quite quickly. Might be worth a try.
Lynn
Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

My Doberman is a snatcher so I've been working on it too. He's gotten better, but has to be reminded, "ge-n-ntle." He knows that word already from his having to learn to be gentle around the Chi's. Anyhow, I started out holding his food in my palm like you would a horse, saying gentle. Then I'd try with my fingers and if he grabbed, I wouldn't give it to him and I'd cry out, "o-u-uch....gentle." If he was more careful, I'd give him the treat and praise him, "gooooood gentle." Then I'd try again. That can make them grabbier but I still did it anyhow. I also, when I hold it in my fingers, turn the back of my hand toward his mouth and kind of hide the treat so he has to sniff and prod a little with his nose. He tends to do it that way instead of using his teeth, but I don't know if that would work on your dog or not. They're all so different. So, slowly, but surely he has improved a whole lot. The sit first is good.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
no touchy

I taught "gentle". Whenever you give a treat say, "gentle!" in a gentle voice . I have one dog that likes to put the hand in her mouth, take the treat then spit the hand back out .
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:42 AM
Big Dog

I say "easy", but it's the same as "gentle". I too kind of turn my hand around backwards so that the back of my hand is to their mouth and the treat/food is facing me, then when they open their mouth calmly I turn my hand around slowly and they can take the food. It just prevents them from jumping up and grabbing whatever I'm giving them.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:51 AM
mostly ignored...

I read somewhere (and this seems to have worked for me) to cover the treat/chunk of food with your thumb in your upturned palm. If they nibble your thumb pull away and say ouch. Don't give the treat. Try again in a minute or so, let them sniff and prod your thumb but if they bite pull away and ouch again, if they start licking your thumb or the food say "gentle" or "take it" and let them have it. Do it a couple times this way and he should get it (esp since he'll learn that if he bites no food is coming his way ) Good luck! And you can always ask Creature Teacher, she's AWESOME at this kind of thing
Old 03-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

WEll I think your dog still young. The older he get he will get it. TOki used to be like that. He would eat it as if i starved him.