Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

I remember when britney spears bought hers for 12,000 a piece the reputable trainers threw a fit and she was supposedly supposed ot sue to get the money back. So no I would nto pay that

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 04-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

Why would they want to spend that much ??? Are they wanting a service dog ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-03-2006, 09:18 AM
fastpitchchic

It's not me looking for a service dog ( I have plenty of pups already)...it's one of my friends that want a companion pet, they want a shepard. I don't know anything about that breeder, except the fact they are expensive.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

A companion dog can be had for much less.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Big Dog

With a quick glance at the site the things that mainly concern me was:

1. The only genetic disease the dogs are said to be guaranteed free of is dysplasia...and they do not specify for how long the guarantee lasts. The only other mention of other genetic diseases is within the first 72 hrs after purchase. I would not even consider getting a dog from a breeder that did not have at least a five year genetic guarantee.

2. Registration papers may take up to a year to receive? Give me a break.

3. Temperament is only guaranteed if they train and monitor the dog for the first five months of its life? Thats absurd. Good breeders dont put limits on things like temperament.

4. You can't s/n until the dog is at least two years old and if you do the contract is void? Good breeders require pet quality be s/n.

Their piece on breeding was laughable.

In regards to the price...your paying for the titles on the dogs. Personally if I wanted a titled dog I go out and get myself a show/working prospect and earn the titles myself.

I personally like the sense of pride in knowing what you and your dog accomplished together rather than taking credit for someone elses work and efforts.

Is your friend experienced with GSD's? GSD's with strong working drives can be too intense for some people so that should be taking into consideration.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
fastpitchchic

They are looking for a pet quality...not a service dog with high drive...I know that they are expensive...I've told them that already. All I was asking is if this might be a good breeder, as I have no experience how to look for a good breeder.

Yes they have had GSD's before with high drive, they are just looking for a companion pet now.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Loves off-leash training!

Well, I just glanced at the site quickly but this paragraph sure makes me wonder:

"We are looking for Donated German Shepherd adults, Labs and Belgian Malinois that can be tested and evaluated for Law enforcement. The perfect age is 18 months to 3 years. Let us know if you have a dog in your home that you feel would be better suited to be a working service dog. This dog must come with Hip and Elbow x-rays. If you are not sure of your dog, let us test it before getting him neutered."

So they want un-neutered dogs donated to them - and you must provide hip and elbow x-rays. I find this very suspect. I'm guessing that they would also require registration papers - and that these dogs, being un-neutered, may very well slip into their breeding program and offspring are sold for big bucks!

Not a place I would ever purchase a dog from. The prices are exorbitant, and someone paying those prices for a companion dog must have more money than brains.

I love my shepherds, but the most I've ever paid was about $1100 which included health certificate, kennel and shipping from New Jersey to Alaska. And this dog has been the most extraordinary companion/competition dog - she's nearly ten years old and still going strong.

Kennels like this will sell for huge prices because they manage to find suckers who will pay those prices. Price does not always indicate quality.

Oh - and it costs $175 for a 45 minute session to determine if your dog can be trained for protection work - and nearly $7000 to do the training! Whew.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Fila Love

Sorry, but way to expensive for a pet quality puppy.
I also agree with Serena...to many things for me to consider owning a pet quality puppy.

Is your friend set on a GSD? If so, I would keep looking... JMO
Old 04-04-2006, 12:21 AM
F150 and a .30-06

I could see the price on a well bred titled ADULT but not a pet pup

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Show Dog

They are expensive but i guess its just what you want.