Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
My golden is what I call a nibbler. It takes her all day to eat one cup of food, no matter how long its been since she's ate last. She also won't eat if anyone is in the room, that includes the cats.. I would let her take her time with the food but I have two cats that like her food more than their's. The only thing that she will eat all at once is the cat food. I have tried adding thing to her food like canned food but she still takes all day.Any suggestions that won't cost me a fourtain(sp?).
mypy,
What you need to do is enforce the NILIF policy where your dog has to earn his meals. Food aggression is a big no no. What you could do is feed smaller meals, mix in canned food, sardines, canned salmon. Perhaps a few small raw meals. Just feed a small amount, prepare, make him sit put down the bowl, let him eat. If he doesn't eat it within 15 minutes. Pick up the bowl, cover and put in the fridge. Don't leave the food out. In a few hours try adding a little warm water to the food, stir and serve again.

Make the food interesting. Can you imagine how uninterested you would be if someone put a bowl of dry cereal in front of you.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

My lab will eat anything in front of him. My ridgeback are a little pickier. But all love innova (not evo) with a little bit of canned salmon in it.