Question about dog pen cleaning....

Debi

The dog pen is new for us..it is 20' by 32'...I clean out the wastes daily. My question is...it is very shaded and I am worried about insect pests. I don't see any signs of fleas.....but would you spray anything periodically??? Something that wouldn't harm the dogs, of course. Or something more 'natural' would be perfect. I read somewhere that in this type of shade..there is a chance fleas could really get out of hand...something about the sun kills their eggs, etc. I picked a shady spot for comfort in the summer....in the winter, the leaves will be gone and it will get warmth from any sun. Now I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do. Obviously, grass doesn't grow due to the dogs....but my hubby wants to put down some type of wood chips. Would that be good....or just hold unwanted moisture. I know he is thinking it would absorb some mudd when it rains, but I'm not sure it wouldn't also be a haven for pests. THANKS!!

Debi

forgot this...some farm folks talk about spreading borax...as in the detergent (20 mule team) around and this would kill pests. Anyone know about this?? Sometimes when I clean up wastes..I do see some creepy bugs (not that I'm not used to that in the country..but...eeewwww) Even with Frontline treatment...I'm worried that the dogs are exposed to too many bugs. Been awful wet this year so far...bad for bug breeding. THANKS again!! :)

Members online