Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Disappointed :(

Animalbiz - well I agree. If medically necessary then fine, but cutting bits off your dog to win prizes - not for me.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonster
Animalbiz - well I agree. If medically necessary then fine, but cutting bits off your dog to win prizes - not for me.
Maybe we should start a series "Nip and Tuck for Dogs," lol

It's amazing to me what measures people take to "nip and tuck" their dogs. Bottom line, all dogs want a good, loving, forever home. Some are working dogs, some are lap dogs and some are just companion dogs.... Why people put them under the knife "just to impresss" other people is beyond me.

Then again, I have seen some nip and tucks on dogs that should have been used on the handlers instead.......

If people can't see the perfect, beautiful outcome of a breed for what it's worth, than they are NOT worth my time. I don't care if it's a purebred or a mutt. It's a living being...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:32 AM
LabBreeder

i've seen first hand how dogs get their tails/ears/dewclaws removed/docked. it is very painful. the dog is only under light anesthesia because they are usually young and to much anesthesia can kill them. i assisted the vet in cropping the ears of a 6 wk old blue dobe. it was so sad to see him laying there, getting pieces of his ears cut off, whining when he started to come around before the procedure was fully done.
and little bulldog and jack russel pups getting their tails docked when they are just days old. isn't that a cruel introduction into the world? tail docks and dew claw removal do not even get general anesthesia...it's just snip and sew and done!
i feel just as bad for cats that get declawed. would you like it if someone cut your finger off at the first knuckle because you scratched some stuff??? i think not.
dogs are born to look one way, not the way people want them to look for "show". alot of shows are not making it where you don't have to mutilate your dog to win...it's now becoming more of an option for some shows.
i mean, what if you entered your child into a beauty contest and they said her ears were to big and that she'd never win...would you get plastic surgery done on your child? NO...of course not. so why do it to your dogs? they are living beings.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:41 AM

sometimes old posts reappear....sorta freaks me out. it is sad, I can't say I want to harm a pup or kitten. I do have to say that I had the meanest cat on the planet. the vet surmised bad breeding...this cat was NOT ok. I didn't have the heart to put it to sleep, it was a moral issue with me. yet I couldn't keep having the cat attack.........I have scars on my legs, I was more worried about scars on my children. between that choice, I chose to declaw. it meant the cat lived (still a biter, but more able to deal with her). did I think it was awful....yes. was it about my furniture....no. just saying that sometimes it is justified if it means the life of the pet is spared. my vet asked me every visit why I kept that mean ole cat. lol it was horrid for 16 years, and ruined me for ever wanting another cat in my life. but declawing meant she had a good life for those 16 years.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
LabBreeder

if there is a medical reason...or it means having to put the animal down otherwise...that is one thing. but doing it "just because" or "for show" is plain mean.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
i've seen first hand how dogs get their tails/ears/dewclaws removed/docked. it is very painful. the dog is only under light anesthesia because they are usually young and to much anesthesia can kill them. i assisted the vet in cropping the ears of a 6 wk old blue dobe. it was so sad to see him laying there, getting pieces of his ears cut off, whining when he started to come around before the procedure was fully done.
A puppy should get there ears cropped between 7-10 weeks and at the latest12 weeks. They are under FULL anesthesia. It is a surgical procedure just like spaying and nuetering.

Quote:
dogs are born to look one way, not the way people want them to look for "show". alot of shows are not making it where you don't have to mutilate your dog to win...it's now becoming more of an option for some shows.
i mean, what if you entered your child into a beauty contest and they said her ears were to big and that she'd never win...would you get plastic surgery done on your child? NO...of course not. so why do it to your dogs? they are living beings.
First, I would never enter a beauty pageant with my child because I won't have any. If the whole plea for being all natural is what people really want, stop ALL mutalations INCLUDING spay and nueter. I don't care if its medical or not, its still mutating the dogs natural being. "they came into this world the way they should be" is what everyone is saying but then you support altering. People can oppose crop/dock but come up with a better arguement becuase its a hypocritical statement. Its you support diverting from the natural way (health issues or not) or you don't support it at all. Make up your mind.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Island dweller

let's not get started on another docking/cropping debate. If you have to talk about it let's start a new thread instead of this sticky. this is not directed at the above poster
Old 08-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Puppy Dog

I have learned alot ! thank for the posting
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

I don't understand why show dogs aren't supposed to be spayed or neutered but some breeds are supposed to have tails docked and ears cropped. They are both altering the animal in some way. Why one and not the other?

Unless I am wrong and show dogs can be spayed or neutered, but I don't blieve that is the case.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Shedevilx15

No. You are right. A dog can be spayed/neutered and still be AKC registered, but cannot be shown if it is spayed/neutered. I don't let anyone cut my dogs ears or tails off. Because i think its just plain mean. 4 out of 5 of my dogs are spayed/neutered because for one, they are all mixed breeds except the one that is not neutered, and for 2, we have no intentions of breeding them. I will admit that i think its mean to spay/neuter an animal,. but it does have its advantages. If an animal is spayed/neutered it will not only stop it from lifting its leg and running away after girl dogs in heat, or risk a female dying while giving birth, But it does stop any worry of developing ovarian or testicular cancer.. My dogs that are spayed/neutered, 2 came from puppymills and we rescued them, the other 2 from some wacky lady that let her lab get pregnant, and the mom abandoned the pups at 5 weeks. We had no background from them and no idea if ovarian or testicular cancer ran in the family. SO we played it safe. But my pomeranian has champion bloodlines, and was a gift from my mother-in-law that breeds them. She owns the mother and father, as well as has them both genetic and DNA tested. Thats why i will not neuter my pomeranian, i know the genetics, as well as i'm soon going to AKC register, and possible show him next year.