Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Stories

Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default The day my heart almost stopped

CT;s post about the biting dog reminded me of this incident..and i thought it a story someone might get some good out of...
When Aaron was a little little guy of 3 yrs old we were walking home from the pet store around the corner and down the street. It was hot, and i was tired, walkin about two steps ahead of him so he would walk a bit faster. I had a hamster in a box in one hand and a small package of bird seed in the other. We were about half way home when suddenly the largest rotty i ever saw rushed out from behind a house and stood his ground inches in front of me. As soon as i saw him coming i told Aaron to freeze, which he did. He saw the dog too i am sure. The dog was in front of me, teeth fully bared, hackles raised, head lowered and you can guess what i was thinking. Aaron stood still behind me, the hamster scurried in the box. We all froze for a minute. I swear time stood still while i counted my breath one two three trying not to let off fear. I slowly lowered myself into a squat, setting the bird seed on the ground and told Aaron to climb on my back. The dog's breath was against my face and i thought omg he is going to eat me alive, the whole time i was still counting one breathe two breathe and on. Aaron did as he was told and i slowly, ever so very slowly stood up. The dog never waivered..same stance..same teeth, he didn't move. I could see the white beneath his pupils. His belly growls were low and rumbling.
I took one small step sideways thinking please please please let him be gaurding his property. When he didn't attack i eased my way over to the other side of the street. As soon as i was fully on the other side he ran back behind the house. I didn't put Aaron down until we were all the way home. After my husband got home from work, i went back to talk to the owner. He seemed unconcerned, but told me it wouldn't happen again. Dang straight, i never went down that street again. I have no idea what would have happened if Aaron had not minded me as well as he did or if i had let my fear show. OUr neighbor's daughter would shriek everytime she saw a big dog and i tried so hard to explain to her parents why that was a response they needed to change before she got hurt...I was just so thankful we were ok.... i can still see his teeth right in front of my face ..it was quite a moment i'll never forget.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Mozart never knew a thing and lived a long and happy life..
Old 03-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
Holy moly. That's definitely a scary situation! Was the hamster okay?
Good question! LOL Glad he was fine.

What a scary thing. Smart to put Aaron on your back. That's quite a story!