new puppy and leash

mm1chele

Hi My name is Michele. I just got a 7 and half week old puppy, half golden retriever and half labador retriever. just got her 2 days and she is such a doll. She has had only one incident in the house and seems to be pretty much housebroken already. She is great with my 11 year old and all the neigborhood children. I feel we really lucked out with such a good puppy. ( keeping my fingers crossed!) My only complaint is that she does not move on the leash. She does run around and stays on the property, staying close to us. She does not want to walk on a sidewalk or the street. we live in a condo and our rules are dogs on a leash. I don't expect her to walk a mile and her young age but I want to get her used to it. One of my neighbors tonight recommended putting the leash on her in the house and let her get used to walk around with it, with her dragging it with her. I would love to hear any suggestions that have worked for others. Thank you!

Hi Michele, Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums!
What is your puppy's name?
She is just afraid of the outdoors... it is very scary for an inside puppy and especially if she isn't around alot of different people. Try introducing her to everything around the condo and make sure she is introduced to as many people as possible while holding her. For now, carry her to 'the spot' and then walk her back on the lease very slowly and let her explore alot. Before long you will be able to walk her coming and going...

Chazhound

mom2two

Hi Michele

I am a firm reader on puppy and dogs. I read it in the Dog Fancy magazine (and I am not saying this is right or wrong but it makes sense) that like Chazhound said it is very scary for the puppy. First of all they no longer have their mommy or what they were used to for those 7 1/2 weeks, she is in a new place with new scents, and the outside is very big and full of other scents, none of which outside of her yard are hers. Puppies are also scared they will not come back to their home and yard. What my husband and I were told by other dog owners to do is pick them up, carry them to a spot outside the yard and then let them sniff, greet people, then carry them back to the yard, the first time only. Then do that again, this time make them walk. We use harnesses and not a leash on the collar, (Although I have two bichons, they are smaller to do this with) never force them by yanking on her. Bring treats she will trust you and knows your scent she will also love treats! I also always carry a water bottle.

Much of this is the same thing Chazhound said, very wise! Let us all know how she does. Once she starts going for walks you have a walk buddy for life!

Congratulations on that wonderful little girl of yours!

Beth

I agree. Just keeping taking your pup out each day or as often as you can & eventually he'll be used to it & look forward to the walk! Good luck.... :D

That all makes very good sense to me, as well as letting your puppy drag it's leash around in the house some to get used to having it on. The harnesses are a great help in the long run, too, because they not only give you more control, they give the pup a greater sense of security.

We had the opposite problem with Buffy and Kharma. Both of them wanted to run out the door - growling and snarling - anytime they heard a noise. Pretty funny watching a two month old puppy that thinks she can take on the world! It was probably even funnier watching us grab them to stop them from getting in way over their little puppy heads. (lol) Shiva had a better sense of proportion. She'd growl and sit just inside the door, waiting for Bimmer to take care of whatever it was.

The only leash problem we have is that Kharma keeps hiding them. I must have bought a half-dozen leashes in the last three months. I've GOT to find where she's putting them! The only safe place for leashes right now is in the trunk of my car.

Just be glad your puppy's got a normal leash problem! (g) It won't be any time at all before he's prancing in anticipation when you reach for his leash.

Members online