Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I love collies!

Default How to convice parents

My friends have to get rid of their dog and asked if I would like to have her. I would really like her and haven't talked to my parents yet. This would be my second dog but my friends' dog is small. What are some things I could use to help my case? Thanks, anything if appreciated.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:00 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

If i could get my mom to pet it..it could stay..she buckled everytime..oh how i counted on that! maybe when you ask them have the dog with you.Nothing like a sappy pair of brown eyes to melt the most stubborn of hearts.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Well, if you already have one that you are responsible for, then they should be able to see that you are capable to take care of a second one. When you ask, make sure you have a mental list of responsibilites that you take care of to back up your points of showing you can take care of a second dog.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:08 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Well, I know with my parents, if I could get the animal in the house, it wasn't leaving!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i know that when my kids fill me with lots of I will do's i don't necessarily belive it..but when i see the animal it is hard not to buckle...This is the first time in my life i haven't birds or fish, or little guys rodent wise (not like the ones that live in the walls) i do know that two dogs is enough for me now, what i can afford, and give proper attention to. My mom should have said no much more, there were too many when i was growing up and shelter food and water are not fair when an animal could have had loads of attention, shelter food and water from someone else. that is the main thing to consider..are you around enough to give both dogs equal and special attention?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:37 PM
no touchy

Take very good care of the dog you have now--feed him, groom him, walk him, clean up after him. When you go to buy any supplies for him, you could even help out and pay some for some or all of the bill. Don't ask for the dog every chance you get. Just every now and then.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Felurian

Yep, Gaddys is right! Show you're responsible for the one you already have.

Then, you can point out that in many ways it is easier to care for two dogs than one. Dogs are happiest when they have a companion. It probably wouldn't hurt to have your friend's parents ask your parents to let you take the dog since that will make it much easier on your friend. And it will be easier for the dog than having to go to strangers!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Along with what Gaddy and Renee said, those "I will do" promises are like icing on the cake. And of course follow through with them, otherwise that showing you're responsible idea will go down the drain fast.