Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Felurian

Well, I've learned something interesting! I didn't know rabbits were an introduced species in Australia! Or foxes. I'm guessing foxes were probably introduced by fox hunters?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Owned by Labradors

We were taught in school why they were introduced, but I can only remember about the rabbits..school was a few decades away for me lol.
The rabbits came by a dear, dear, immigrant who thought they would like to have them over here for their pet..as history goes, other things were introduced to get rid of the first thing introduced and so it goes on.
The only native dog to Australia is the Dingo. Other than that, all other species of dogs were imported.
One menace we have at the moment is called the Cane Toad, it is spreading rapidly from Queensland down to NSW, soon it will be in Victoria...now that is a real pest, destroying natural vegetation in its path. People get them, kill them and stuff them to make all sorts of ornaments. We over here always say only in America, but honest, some times I gotta wonder...only in Australia..lol.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

Dingos were actually introduced to Australia somewhere between 3,400 and 3,500 years ago. It's thought that dingos were introduced by Asian seamen. In fact, there's an operating theory that the Tasmanian tiger-wolf was driven off the mainland of Australia by competition from the dingos. The tasmanian tiger-wolf and the Tasmanian devil were the native predators on the mainland of Australia before the dingo came along.

Next came rats and mice with early European settlers. Rats and mice, along with bats, were the only placental mammals in Australia until the mid-1800s, when there was a huge boom in the introduction of vertebrates and plants, mostly for farming and ranching purposes. Mr Thomas Austin gets the credit for introducing the European rabbit in 1859 because he liked to hunt them. The rabbits bred out of control and the resident predators were shot by the sheep and cattle ranchers. Guess why the foxes were introduced...?

Welcome to the world of living with an ecologist with a doctorate!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Owned by Labradors

Do I get special points for guessing about the foxes..lol.

Yes the Tassie Tiger has only been extinct for a short while...no don't ask me dates lol. The last one was kept in a zoo. There have been many reports of sightings of it on the mainland but never verified. There are also sightings of what is supposed to be a big cat in our area, reports of livestock being mangled, could it be the big cat or a tassie tiger???
The Devil has a disease at the moment it affects their head, they are not sure if it is hereditory or not, but have set up programs to check it's progress..hopefully not another on it's way to extinction.