Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Felurian

As far as lower calorie treats go, Mother Hubbard makes a good one called "Couch Potatoes" that my dogs love. They're made with sweet potatoes, among other things, all nutritious and good, natural ingredients. Mine don't need the low cal treats, but they just love the taste of the Couch Potatoes.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Devout animal lover

I'll have to keep the "Couch Potato's" in mind. We did get Brandi over to the surgeon yesterday and I do have to say I walked away very impressed and felt like a weight was lifted off of our shoulders. First off they got a gurney and transported Brandi to a consultation room where we first met with th esurgeons assistant. He had a working model explaining everything about the TPLO and the procedures. We were with him approx. 25 minutes when the surgeon that would be doing the operation came in. We were with him also about a half an hour. Everything was explained, what was expected, of course all cost were explained up front too. LOL!!! What we have to do in 6 weeks, what we have to do in 10 weeks as far as re-Xraying etc. Walks were explained and a dietary plan will be sent with us when we pick her up on Sat. He is glad she is going to the vets kennel so she can get the proper care that she needs. He also insisted on a catheter to be inserted so she will not have to lay in her own urine and end up with bed sores. As far as walking on that leg that is getting operated on today, he said she will be able to walk on it within two to three days. One small incision with a couple of staples on the inside of the leg. No cast or anything. WhooHoo That makes the wife and I feel much much better. Also he explained the dietary plan somewhat, what is expected of us, AND what she can have for snacks. The assistant stated he has two Goldens and they get raw carrots for snacks and they can have all they want of them. So Brandi will have to aquire a new taste I guess. LOL!! Anyways it is going to be a long wait today for the surgeon to call to let us know how everything goes. And when I find out I'll post it here Thanks to all concerned. It does make things easier on this end. And when we pick her up tomorrow, I'll be sure to give her a hug for all of you.

Kevin
Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Love my pets

I'll be thinking of Brandi while she goes through her surgery today. Max, CJ, Tiny & Bear all want to send kisses and hugs to Brandi for a speedy recovery.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Love my pets

found a site about the surgery and good info about how to keep them occupied while going through recovery (even fillings for KONG toys)

www.lauriebryce.com/tplo/index.html
Old 03-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Devout animal lover

Just to let everyone know...Brandi went thru surgery just fine. The surgeon had to double plate her back leg with the TPLO surgery. He stated that she should be on it in 2 to 7 days. We picked her up this morning and took her to the Kennel. They already had a huge pen set up waithing for her with pillows and thick blankets. The vet came right over to instruct the girls as to what to do and how to care for her. For the first week she will not be doing too much at all other than healing. They have a catheter in her hooked to a bag so her bladder will not fill and do some other damage. We have visitation every day so we will be seeing her tomorrow afternoon, then everyday after work. Brandis spirits were up today. She has a stuffed piggy that she carries with her and she had it when she went into surgery. Today when she left the girls said that Brandi made sure she had her stuffed piggy with her before she left the room on the gurney. We had to stop by our house and let Brandi see her sister before she went to the kennel. After about a week we will be allowed to take Nikki with us to see her. But for the first week we are supposed to refrain because of Brandi getting exited. We both feel much better today than we did a few days ago. I wiill keep you all posted on the progress.

Kevin
Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Felurian

Sounds like you've got some good surgeons. That's great that they explained everything at such length. Very impressive! Just make sure they understand when they give you the dietary guidelines that you insist on better quality dog food than Science DIEt or Eukanuba/Iams products. Even some of the very best vets are under the very mistaken impression that these are quality foods.

I'm sure Mordy will be very willing to help you with calorie conversions and all sorts of things with Brandi's diet. I just wish vets got adequate training in nutrition instead of the manufacturer sponsored propaganda/advertising seminar they generally end up with. [sigh]

My girls have both gone through injuries that required veterinary care and convalescence, and you - and Brandi - have my wholehearted sympathies! Kharma was hard enough to deal with when she got shot in the foot; she broke her splint twice, once breaking the steel shaft up the back, but Shiva was a nightmare to keep still with all those stitches in her side!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

A belated welcome to you, Kevin. I'm glad to hear Brandi's surgery went so well. We're keeping her in our thoughts over here. It sounds like you really have some top notch vets that really care about her. It's wonderful to know she's in such good hands. Let her know the Chazhound critters are wishing her a speedy recovery!
Old 03-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Love my pets

Kevin, I'm so happy to hear all went well with Brandi's surgery. It sounds like the kennel & vet are very caring people which are not always easy to find these days. Keep us updated. Glad to hear Nikki will be able to visit.