Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Top Dog

i remember when yoshi had tape worms she had soiled her crate and i had taken her outside and wen to get the stuff to clean it up and came back and some of them had moved.. x.x
Old 01-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Puppy Dog

Hi

Took Rosie to the vet. The vet said that pup's can get worms more than adult dogs.

The problem with Rosie is, she always eats grass while out on a walk. She looks like a cow when eating it by ripping it up and crunching on it. She loves grass.

The vet said that eggs lay on the grass, and Rosie will eat them.

Now, she is wormed once a month since being a pup, however the vet said she needs more worming as she is such a grass eater.

Thanks

James
Old 02-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

I doubt it's a tapeworm. They are segmented and you can usually tell the difference. They are unlikely to vomit a tape up because they burrow into the intestine lining and work their out with the feces. They don't live in the stomach so shouldn't come up the esophagus.
The problem with worming once a month is that the life cycle takes two weeks. I am surprised they had you wait that long between doses of meds. Drontal is a great wide spectrum wormer that gets, rounds (most common puppy worm), tapes, hooks, whips, etc...
The medication kills adult worms but does nothing to the eggs. In two weeks the eggs hatch, that's why it is important to get those new ones then, otherwise, they mature and lay eggs of their own...and so forth.

Yuck, I know that is gross. I feel bad for both of you.

http://www.puppys-place.com/deworming-your-puppy.html

Here are some pics on my site. EEwww. Thought they might help.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

tapes look like grains of rice..often found in the animals bedding and stuck to the fur around the anus.

hooks are very small but if you look close enuff you will see a tiny hook on one end..often cause anemia..check for pale gums..a bad worm

rounds look like speghetti..and an incredible amount can come from a tiny puppy..unless the female dog was wormed before she was bred..it is a high chance that the puppies have rounds..i once saw a three day old puppy vomit up more then seemed possible to fit in her whole belly

i think i am forgetting one..i will come back when i remember..
that is besides heart but you wouldn't have found one of those.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

hookworm facts that i wish i didn't know..they breed in the dew of the grass..the larvae work their way up between the pads of the toes..the slaves of america were considered to be lazy but fact is (this is what my biology teacher in bio101 at maple woods c college told me) that they suffered from hook worms and were very anemic because shoes were not a common clothing.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,