Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Active Pup

he has lots of socializaing with the other dogs in my area...

thanx for the feedback so far guys...

That is what i was thingkin i read somewhere that some pups dont usually have its instincts to chase smaller animals, bark or and even remain shy until they area about 6months of age or older... Is it true, especially in more docile dogs like labs?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

It all depends on the dog. My dog has ZERO prey drive. He just wants to make friends witht the ducks and squirels in our area. Some dogs also are incapable of barking, (Basenji) or are often reluctant to (Huskies).
Old 01-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by exors
he has lots of socializaing with the other dogs in my area...

thanx for the feedback so far guys...

That is what i was thingkin i read somewhere that some pups dont usually have its instincts to chase smaller animals, bark or and even remain shy until they area about 6months of age or older... Is it true, especially in more docile dogs like labs?
socializing isn't just with dogs in your area. It's with kids, seniors, the mailman, big dogs, small dogs, new situations, new places, ....
Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Active Pup

yes he does socialize quite abit except with the mailman though and I do take him for rides in the car to new places...

Troy barks sometimes when hes playing himself outside, or he barks sometimes when I am playing with him, I am guessing that bark is "come on play with me" type of bark...

Oh well I guess hes just the playfull kind of dog hopefully he can protect himself when he needs too.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Big Dog

oh, don't worry about the fact that he's not barking. he's only 4 months old after all! Coco learned how to bark when he was around 7 months old... from another pug. but now, he still rarely ever barks! He doesn't bark at strangers passing by our yard, unless they try to walk into our house.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

At four months old, just a baby. None of my labs barked at a stranger at that age. Charlie started "protecting his fence line" at about 18 months. Shiloh started barking at strangers near our property at about a year old.

But Shiloh did show herself one day when my brother pulled up behind our garage and jumped the back fence (instead of coming to our front door). Shiloh started barking, hackles raised, and not backing away. My thrill seeking brother thought it to be funny. So he acted even more threatening. She bit him in the arm. LOL........He wasn't hurt too bad but he was impressed the dog had a little bite behind the bark. She has never been "tested" again in this manner. AND I don't reccommend it.

The funny thing is, when the doorbell rings they don't bark. I guess they have only had good experiences with door bells and they wag tails and such.
They will bark at noises while inside though.

Does anyone think I should desire more caution with the door bell?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

Allli have to say is be HAPPY i wanted my two females to be relaxed and friendly around strangers and not to bark at everything my sheltie taught them to bark by the time they wer 6 monthst old and only will let certain people around them even though they were socialized they love somepeople and others well... they dont love them so much and stay away from. Every dog is diffrent two of them will scare away intruders my boy dog wouyld probly help the burgler cary out the tv some dogs never learn to bark if he realy needed to pretect himself trust me he will.

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT