Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Stories

Old 03-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Default Zeus's accident

Last year I came very close to losing my Zeus and it was the worst day of my life.

It was summer and my friend Emma and I decided it would be fun to take the dogs on a hike. Since it was summer I wasent as busy so i could go. Emma owns 4 dogs i absolutly love Barney a Border Collie, Thumper a Jack Russel, Valley a pitbull, and Raven anouther Border Collie. I decided to bring Zeus, Tundra, with me. We were at a trail that was mainly horse trails and I always was cautiouse. Emma was walking three dogs and I was walking three dogs (I had all three pitties). We eventually stopped at a picnic table in the woods to water the dogs and have a rest ourselves when a c womeon on horse back came riding by. I wasent holding onto Zeuses leash because i was busy getting Tundra untangled from the table legs. So when the horse went by Zeus trotted after it did'nt even bark or anything just followed right behind it. The lady started to say to get my dog that her horse did'nt like dogs and right as she was saying this the horse shot a leg back and hit Zeus square in the chest!!! Zeus flew atleast a foot or two nad let out this shrill yelp and hit the groud with a sickening thud!!!!! My whole life with Zeus up until then flashed before my eyes.

Emma and I were afraid to move him at first the women was off her horse apologizing like crazy. He wasent breathing well and his breath was short and he was snorting like crazy. Finaly the women said she had a tarp in her trailer and that we could maybe move him with that she also had a cell phone that i used to call the vet and tell him we were coming in. This women has become a friend of mine since and her name is Kate.We finally got all the dogs out of the trail and got Zeus in the back of Emma's van. Whe got him to the vet and he got checked over and had three broken ribs and a fractured hind leg and that was the extent of injuries thank god all that panick. He had alot of bumps and bruises also. It scared me alot and have always been sure to hold on to all leashes since then.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Don't encourage me..

Gus has been knocked out by a horse kick to the head before!! My horses are great with him though as they are used to him and he is used to them! It's just other horses that don't know him! Zeus is ok now though isn't he?

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Yeah he's fine alittle afraid of horses though lol

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Don't encourage me..

I've had horses since I was three and there are horses that i'm a little scared of!! Glad he is ok!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Island dweller

Poor Zeus! I'm a little afraid of that with Mikey. He's seen horses from a distance but I don't think he knows what to make of them. I don't know how he'll react to mine when I get them out here!

That must have been painful. There's a good chance that the horse lived on a farm with dogs that nipped her heels! I've seen dogs do that and some horses 'tune them in' by kicking at them but it's usually a warning.

Glad he's ok
Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Felurian

That was way too close! Buffy used to get so close to the bulls when she was moving them. I worried myself sick that she was going to get kicked. There's no way any dog would have survived being kicked by an angry adult bull!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Jerk.

Getting popped by a horse aint fun, I wouldnt want to get caught in the chest. I got drilled on my hip blanketting one of the mares when I was much younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I had a very little dog once named scamper that use to go out and get the horses to chase her then she would dart under the fence..i know a lot of people hate dogs that do that thinking that the horses will get hurt, but ours seemed to know where the fence was so i wasn't worried about it. Scamper was a very little dog so it was a bit brazen of her to take this on as a hobby..one she misjudged and realized she wasnt going to make the fence in time..she ran for me instead..with three quarterhorses pounding the ground right behind her..she made a line for me and leaped into my arms at the last second.the horses parted my hair as they went around us..She was lucky and so was I...getting kicked hurts!!!!! Glad Zuess wasn't permanantly damaged (except for his ego) and i hope it never happens again!