Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I am my dog's mom

Thanks, Giny. Do you think, then, that I should schedule the extraction right away? I have noticed the food getting stuck between his baby and adult teeth!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

Funny, I am 33 and have two baby teeth that never fell out so I have caps on them that make them the right size. Apparently doesn't happen often, but I did not have the adult teeth there to push them out. I never got wisdom teeth either. Small favors.

However, deciduous baby teeth in a puppy can really offset the bite and create problems with how the bite comes together. The teeth may not meet properly which will cause the opposing teeth to come down (or up) farther than they should (over time) exposing the roots. As said they may get food trapped which may causes abscesses if it goes unnoticed. I am assuming that the adult teeth have come in?

I would definitely have them removed when he is sedated for his neuter. If he is already altered, then I would have it done anyway. It will probably only take a very few minutes to do. You don't want to encourage dental problems, little dogs have enough of them without any excuse.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:33 AM
I am my dog's mom

Great info, Laura! I'm going to make the appointment!
BTW, We are neighbors! (Altadena)
Thank you so very much. Apu is our love and we wouldn't let him have dental problems for the world!
-Robin
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Hyia my grandchild has a baby tooth with no adult tooth behind it.She will have that babytooth all through her adult hood hopefully. Her dentist said that happens sometimes. Don't know if this is the same thing but i thought i would write just in case.
I have the same problem. My two bottom front teeth never had adult teeth behind them. One of them got pushed out by my other adult teeth growing in, and in turn, envaded the space. I had to have the other one pulled and replaced with ONE false tooth on a bridge. I now have a permanant (sp. ? doesn't look right lol) implant in the space. So, my bottom jaw is less one tooth.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Oh, Robin, hey that's great. Who is your vet up there? We are up on Lake and Calaveras everyweek for my son's class. Thanks for sharing.

I am sure the extraction is the right way to go. BTW, how did the dogs do with the wind this week?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:13 AM
I am my dog's mom

How cool!!
We go to Dr. Sahi at Altadena Animal Hospital. It's walking distance for us.
Apu slept right through the wind storm!!!! I couldn't believe it! How did your dogs do? The other dog in our picture is Apu's cousin who lives in Santa Ana with my in-laws.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Beagle Bailey

Oh interesting, I didn't realize that when the baby tooth didn't fall out, the adult one still came in. Thanks!

[
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelizilly
Oh interesting, I didn't realize that when the baby tooth didn't fall out, the adult one still came in. Thanks!
Yeah, the mouth can get real over crowded if the baby teeth don't fall out. If the adult teeth don't come right up under like they are supposed to then they don't eat away at the baby roots correctly and the baby teeth don't fall out. Can create quite a few problems.

And Robin, Dharma just hid in her crate. Nice and safe there. No big bad wind demons in there. She hates the wind.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

I also still have a baby tooth, we don't see it at first glance but xrays showed that the adult tooth is still in my gums somewhere. So sometimes I guess they just don't come out. I don't have any problem because of it however. No clue how it works for dogs though.