Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Puppy Dog

Arrow Outside training

Hey guys, I hope you can help. I've been training my 2 pups inside as it has been too cold outside. They are now 12 weeks old. They are doing fine with the training, but lately it's been uncharacteristically warm and I thought I would go ahead and get some outside training in ( I had intended to train them outside as soon as spring came anyway ). However, they won't respond. Inside they do just fine - sit, come, down....no problem. But when we go outside and I give a command they won't take the treat or respond at all. I make sure they're hungry, and I enforce the command once I give it, but nothing's working.

Up to this point I've only taken them outside to use the bathroom -- is this part of the problem? Did I do something wrong?

Any advice would be great -- thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:25 AM
RedyreRottweilers

1) Change the treats to something different. Something really smelly that they are not familiar with.

2) take them out one at a time, and work on attention only. Say name, put treat on nose, bring treat to face so they look, say name again and treat.

Often when you up the ante in training, by going to a new location you must start all over, esp in puppies who are just learning.

It's normal. Be patient, and innovative with your bait.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

It's totally normal. Just try first in a place with very few distractions, and only let them out once at a time if you want to train them.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Puppy Dog

Ok, can do - those were some great suggestions . I will start today! Thanks as always guys