Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

Default Heartguard weight question

I need to order more heartguard for the boys. My problem is, it's 26-50lbs or 51-100lbs. My husband weighed Tips as he could on our scale, and it said 46lbs. Last time he was at the vet a bit over a month ago he was 40lbs. He's almost 9 months now.

Which one should I take? I only have 3 51lbs+ left, and the boys are due in 3 weeks... Should I just use those for both next time and order more 51+? I'm not even sure how much more Tips is going to grow, and I'm not sure it's ok to use some 51+ if he's only 46ish lbs? Do you think he will be 50+ in a couple months anyway? He's been fed on all lifestage foods, if it matters. Of course he's a mix so I have no idea how big he's going to get.

I'm probably worried for nothing, but I would like your opinion... Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 PM
It wasn't me

If you are getting them at your vet's then you can buy single doses instead of the 6 month pack. Seems like he's still continuing to grow so the 50+ is probably what you're going to go with anyway. =)

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 01-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Top Dog

I like to get them at my vet's for that reason.... I don't like to overdose or underdose.... When Bubba went over 100#s ... I added a 5 to 10# pill until he went under 100# again.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-18-2006, 01:04 AM
Quigleyfied

first of all, if i may make the suggestion - interceptor is a better heart worm preventive than heartguard.

keep in mind that heartworm preventives are essentially poison that kill existing larvae if there are any present - they do not really actually "protect" the dog from becoming infected in the first place.

you can give interceptor every 45 days instead of every 30, just make sure to mark your calendar properly. you also do not need to give the full dose unless you need to the deworming effect for whipworms and hookworms every single month (imo, overkill).

if you give it as HW preventive alone, for a dog under 50 lbs the interceptor doses packaged for dogs weighing up to 10 pounds is sufficient, if over 50 lbs, the dosses packaged for dogs weighing 11-25 pounds is enough. this is commonly referred to as the "safeheart dose", after a european product that uses exactly the same ingredient as interceptor (milbemycin oxime), but in much lower doses.

this is not something unproven and just passed on by word of mouth, it's actually FDA approved. more info here:
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/98fr/080398c.pdf

also, it is absolutely unnecessary to give heartworm preventive during the winter months, while mosquitoes aren't active. for larvae to develop inside mosquitoes, the temperature must be above 57 degrees F throughout the entire cycle, a minimum of 14 days.

this from someone who has researched the topic to death and isn't using any heartworm preventives anymore at all.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Top Dog

Wow thanks Mordy. Any reason why you're not using it anymore? Do you just test your dogs from time to time?
Old 01-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Trained by an Airedale

I'd love not to use it, but don't understand the threat enough in this area. But thanks loads Mordy, my vets has a couple of different tablets and I didn't know the difference. I need to be looking out for safeheart then. Knowing the difference the temperature makes is really useful. We've started to get lots of mossies about, unusual for this time of year & I was starting to get worried that I should be thinking about the heart worms, but it's still too cold, phew.....

Old 01-22-2006, 07:20 AM
It wasn't me

In south GA (and probably a lot of other moderate winter climated places) it's a year round thing, winter is more or less just spring with ugly grass and no flowers! They still come and spray or fog the streets in the city for mosquito control, because there is still a threat for WNV too.

Mordy was right about the interceptor. It does four parasites-h.w., roundworms, whipworms, and hookworms. And if you wanted to go one step further you could do Sentinel, same as interceptor except one ing., lufenuron, to control fleas. Another product is, Revolution it's a topical liquid medication which is used for flea control and prevention, heartworm prevention, and prevention and control of ear mites, sarcoptic mange, and American dog ticks.--no other internal parasites
Where as the Heartguard Plus does h.w., hooks, and rounds.

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Quigleyfied

i wouldn't recommend using revolution, it doesn't have a particularly great safety record (adverse reactions/deaths) compared to interceptor, and you want as little chemicals as possible actually entering thebloodstream.

i made my decision about not giving HW products after thoroughly evaluating the actual threat in my area, which is small according to this map, and considering the fact that my dog is mostly indoors during mosquito activity times, hardly exposed during walks, and when we go hiking i use a herbal repellant.

i test for HW every 6 months and so far they have always come back negative.

with the unlikely chance of my dog actually becoming heartworm infected, it would still be less invasive on him to treat him in case he ever does (and the regular testing would catch it early) compared to the load of toxic chemicals he would be ingesting over the years if i used a preventive.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!