Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
For those of you who are using it as a preventative, what information are you basing that on?
Richard D., I think for myself seeing is believing. For a large breed dog it's not going to hurt to have them on glucosamine long term because it is a natural substance. In the book "The Holistic Dog" by Jan Allegretti & Katy Sommers, DVM they say:
Quote:
Glucosamines are produced naturally in the body and are necessary for the repair of connective tissues and mucous membrane linings, as well as for lubrication of the joints. They can be refined from sources in nature (from Cattle, poultry as well as sea animals), and used to augment the body's own production.

Sometimes animals are deficient in glucosamine production, or the body may use up more than it produces. In arthritis, for example, the ongoind joint degeneration creates a higher demand for the body's glucosamine. Supplementation can profoundly reduce the symptoms of arthritis, as well as other diseases such as colitis and other bowel probelms, disc pain, and some bladder conditions.

Because they are natural compounds, and chmically identical to substances that occur natrually in the body, they carry very little chance of side effects.
The reason I supplement all my dogs is first they are all large breeds and prone to joint problems later in life. Second, Newf's are prone to degenerative spinal diseases, so I want to prevent this. I have seen first hand the dogs that received no supplementation develop this degenerative disease and those that have been supplemented (from the same lines) have not seemed to develop this degenerative disease. My Dobe Beau is a large dog and is very agile, I use glucosamines as a preventative for the wear and tear he puts on his joints due to running, playing, jumping etc.

I don't own horses, but, my Sister does. Many of the girls at her barn who work their horses including my Sister give their horses glucosamine to prevent problems. Horse people always seem to be on the leading edge of holistic remedies and preventatives...I guess you have to be to avoid those high vet charges. . We first learned of Glucosamine over 25 years ago from horse people, this was before Vets ever recommended it.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Ninja Dog

Yeah, Bear gets glucosamine for prevention. She's not showing signs of arthritis (thankfully), but she's somewhat approaching seniority (she's about 6years old). That probably dosn't seem that old, but for a Mastiff cross it's getting there The dog I used to have also took glucosmaine, but twice a day. He was a senior and had pretty bad arthritis.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

Yes, I give both my beagles one every day. They are both young and healthy, but the vet thought we should give it to them as a pre-emptive measure.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:04 AM
yuckaduck

Everyone here gets Vitamin C everyday after 6 weeks of age for ever and ever. Vets advice, good for prevention and helping with cures.

Yukon gets glucosamine usually one a day for maintainance but right now due to injury he gets two a day. Hope gets none, not needed for her. Faith gets none due to age but she will get half a one at 6 weeks old.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Ninja Dog

Get better Yukon!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

mine are all on,,MSM w/glucosamine,,Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vit E, Vit C

keeps them all nice and "limber" LOL
diane
Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Active Pup

I also use Glucosamine on my hip dysplasia dog
Old 01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
no touchy

All of my dogs get glucosamine. One more than the others because she has some hip problems and arthritis.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

On the glucosamine supplements provided by my vet, the instructions state that one should be given everyday for the first 4-6 weeks, and then after that time period, they should be used every other day. Is that correct?

I am using them as a preventative measure since beagles are known to have hip and spinal problems. Is it ok to give it to them everday?