Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Active Pup

Default flea (and mosquito) repellant

Here in Louisiana we have mosquitoes year around. Someone gave me a can of flea and mosquito repellant yesterday that contains 30% deet. I am afraid to use this on my dogs but a repellant for fleas that works would be great. I use frontline, but it does not repel fleas. I also like the idea of repelling mosquitoes, flies, ticks, etc. Has anyone ever used a product containing deet? Or does anyone know of a safe repellant that works? I used to buy something years ago called "Expar" that worked wonderfully. I think now it is only sold for horses as a repellant for flies, or possibly has been taken off the market. I don't use poisons in my yard because I have box turtles wondering around and also a garden that I'd rather not have poisons around. I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions! Thanks!
Roxy
Old 01-22-2006, 11:08 AM
It wasn't me

Cool

Look at the Fran27's thread about Heartguard, we were just discussing this. Also have you heard of Diatomaceous Earth? This is something I have been talking to Mordy about also, and trying to find the best information out there.
Quote:
Food grade diatomaceous earth works in a purely physical/mechanical manner, not ‘chemical’ and thus has no chemical toxicity. Best yet, parasites don’t build up a tolerance/immunity to its chemical reaction, so rotation of wormers unnecessary.
Quote:
Lightly rub food grade diatomaceous earth into pets coat, fur, and bedding to dehydrate fleas, lice, mites, and ticks. Dust them lightly, but thoroughly, as in order to kill the parasites, they must come in contact with the DE. Note, external application can take up to 72 hours to dehydrate external parasites.

Lightly sprinkle in household carpet. Leave for 2-3+ days, then vacuum. Please do not get heavy handed with the DE in your carpet, as I have heard from some people advising it causes problems with their vacuum.
Quote:
Outside it kills: Ants, fire ants, caterpillars, cut worms, army worms, fleas, ticks, cockroaches, snails, spiders, termites, scorpions, silver fish, lice, mites, flies, centipedes, earwigs, slugs, aphids, Japanese beetles (grub stage), fruit flies, corn earworm, cucumber beetles, corn borer, sting bugs, squash vine borers, thrips, loopers, etc., etc.
Check out this link for more info. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life