Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Wookie Collie

Just finished books 2 and 3 of the Stone Moon Trilogy by M.C.A. Hogarth. She is a... friend? Acquaintance? Somewhere in the middle... she's an illustrator/author and writes some incredible fantasy and sci-fi.

The Stone Moon Trilogy is about a humanoid alien race called the Jokka, who live in a harsh environs and have the interesting trait of not only having three genders (male, female and neuter) but also go through two puberties in their young lives - both of which can possibly turn them to a different gender.

On top of that, each gender is very specific in terms of physical traits, genitalia aside. The males have very dextrous hands and feet, and thus are excellent crafters and creators. The females are generally sensitive to weather and can succumb to "mind-death" (a stroke) during their pregnancies. Neuters are the strongest and require the least sleep of the three, and so they work to keep the breeder genders safe.

All of this entwined with turmoil makes for a darn good trilogy. I recommend them to anyone who likes a good fantasy/sci-fi tale, a love story, a tragedy, and an ethical/political drama.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Just finished "Don't Breathe a Word" by Jennifer Mcmahon. I really like her style, and I think this was my favortie of her books. Certainly much creepier then her others

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Obey the Toad.

I'm currently reading 50 Shades of Grey and Ocean at the End of the Lane....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I'm currently on the first book Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and I love it. Love the characters and everything else. They are starting a TV series. Watched the pilet and I love it as well so far, hopefully it keeps with the books.

And Jamie....hmmmm Jamie...

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Rereading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

So much love for these books. So much love.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Just about to start If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I'm currently on the first book Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and I love it. Love the characters and everything else. They are starting a TV series. Watched the pilet and I love it as well so far, hopefully it keeps with the books.

And Jamie....hmmmm Jamie...
YES I love to hear this The Outlander books are my favourite of all favourites, and I'm absolutely LOVING the show so far (just watched the 2nd episode today). I've been waiting for these books to be adapted for a LONG time, and I'm so incredibly happy it's being done in such an excellent way!

And yeah Jamie is pretty much just the king of men.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I am always the first person to say that the books and the movies/shows based on them should be taken as separate items, but a couple of things bothered me after watching the first two Outlander episodes:

Jamie isn't tall enough. Yes, he's taller than Claire, but seems about average/slightly above average compared to the rest of the men. The books always seemed to depict "Red Jamie" as being huge and towering over others. I know the actor is 6'3". Maybe it's just me, but my wife said the same thing.

Claire's hair is wrong. Jet black and fairly straight (slightly wavy) in the series. Not at all like described in the books.

Isn't Jamie left-handed? He came back from that one battle in the pilot with his sword in his right hand.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Higbread Dingbat

Just finished Castaways by Brian Keene (pretty good book),
onto Strange Magic by Gord Rollo.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
I am always the first person to say that the books and the movies/shows based on them should be taken as separate items, but a couple of things bothered me after watching the first two Outlander episodes:

Jamie isn't tall enough. Yes, he's taller than Claire, but seems about average/slightly above average compared to the rest of the men. The books always seemed to depict "Red Jamie" as being huge and towering over others. I know the actor is 6'3". Maybe it's just me, but my wife said the same thing.

Claire's hair is wrong. Jet black and fairly straight (slightly wavy) in the series. Not at all like described in the books.

Isn't Jamie left-handed? He came back from that one battle in the pilot with his sword in his right hand.
I think it's less that Jamie isn't tall enough and more that the rest of the actors are also tall...Jamie in the books is 6'4'' and the guy playing him is 6'3'', so pretty darn close. The girl they cast as Claire is an ex runway model though, so she is extremely tall (I think 5' 10'' at least), so yes, she doesn't look tiny next to him. Back in those days 6'4'' would have been a giant because the average height was much smaller, but I'm sure due to logistical reasons, the rest of the cast isn't super short I wasn't totally fully sold on the Jamie casting until I saw the episodes, now I am completely - I think he really embodies the character, and it was a pretty crazy transformation for him from when he was first cast (he had dark hair and was quite slight, he put on a LOT of muscle for this role).

Claire's hair might be a bit darker than described in the books for sure, but it's pretty curly I thought - especially in the second episode when she's first waking up, she has pretty good Claire-hair going on...I suspect as the series goes and her hair grows out, it will get curlier - I've seen some photos from later in the production and it's very curly.

As for Jamie being left handed - yes! However he explains at one point in the first book that he sword fights right handed because to do so left handed would expose his heart side, so he only fought left handed with Dougal (who is also left handed). He's pretty ambidextrous due to lefties being looked so poorly upon in those days - he even writes right handed, though it's hard for him.

ETA: This was one of the photos I was thinking of from later, her hair looks pretty curly to me here.

And this was the "Claire hair" scene from 102, that's some pretty good bedhead I think!

Last edited by Kootenay; 08-18-2014 at 01:21 PM.