Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
Just curious why Naturalfeddogs says that cooked bones are not digestable. Why would they not be? I noticed today there were turkey necks on sale but as I would not want to feed them raw, thought I would pick some up and cook them in the pressure cooker. I am sure my dogs would choke on them if I fed them raw.
I feed my dogs raw turkey necks all the time.

I also think pressure cooking the remains of your chicken dinner to feed to the dogs instead of throwing in the trash is a fantastic idea.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
ANY cooking of bones IS dangerous to feed. I have yet to find bone that "dissolve" between fingers. Any knowledgable raw feeders wouldn't feed cooked bone in any form.
Have you ever pressure cooked bones? I'm starting to wonder if you know what a pressure cooker IS, because it absolutely makes the bone soft and mushy.

It's a great way to use up stuff that would otherwise get thrown out. Like Linds said, no one is proposing feeding an all-pressure cooked chicken bone diet, just using up what's on hand as part of an overall diet.

Also, which nutrients in the bone exactly are "gone" after cooking? Dekka did a pretty darn good job of refuting that once already, I'm curious what your counter explanation is.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Active Pup

Yes i give my dog pressure cooker chicken bones and he eats happily and its safe for its stomach.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Active Pup

Default Bones for Dogs

For many years, I've cooked turkey and chicken bones in a crockpot or big electric roasting pan containing broth or water for hours and hours, until they become crumbly. Then I feed them and the resulting broth to my dogs. So, when people say cooked bones splinter, they may be talking about bones that have been cooked using dry heat, i.e., roasted.
Cooking bones in liquid over a LONG period of time (the length of time it takes to stew the chicken meat is not enough to sufficiently break down the chicken or turkey bones) results in a broth that will gel when it's cooled. Such broth will contain collagen, and, no doubt, minerals contained in bones, like phosphorus and calcium.
A pressure cooker would speed up the process, but is not necessary to reduce the bones to crumbly, edible consistency.
I've used the resulting broth as the liquid for mixing puppy formula for orphaned puppies, and it works very well; they like it better than formula mixed with plain water, and really thrive on it.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Active Pup

Default Healthy Dog Treats

I agree that you should not be cooking bones for your dogs. There are some great tasting and healthy treats that you can make from home that do not involve unsafe ingredients.

If you are looking for new healthy treats, take a look at our website:

www.GlobalPetTreats.com

We have carry 15 different brands, and offer free shipping on every single order.

TREATS10 will take 10% off your purchase.

-Grant