Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
That's actually what mine was originally bought for haha. It's a Dremel brand, cordless. It's awesome.

Yep that's what I use.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 04-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Active Pup

I don't dremel, it's just something I've never done, nothing against it.
If you're just going to use regular dog nail clippers, just keep cutting bit by bit until you see a dark dot in the middle. The bigger the dot the closer you are to the quick.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

I've always used a regular Dremel power tool with a hose attachment thingy. It has variable speeds. I use a faster speed on my son's dog with big, hard, thick nails and a middle range for my little dogs. I don't hold it on but instead sort of make quick swipes...about 3 or 4 then move onto the next nail. I have quicked them and I think it hurts but it won't bleed much because it cauterizes them. So, keep peeking to see if you can tell when to stop. I see a little circle and a little bit of white...must be the quick starting to show through. They usually let me know by flinching if I'm getting too close. To get them back shorter, do just a tad every 3 days or so until they're back where you want them, then probably once a week will do.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Active Pup

I think I might just try using a dremel now. I was afraid to before because I thought it might be easier to hit the quick by accident, but it sounds like it's less nerve wracking than using regular clippers.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Top Dog

When cutting the nail, clip where the nail starts to curve. As pictured above, stop when you see a dark dot in the middle.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

You can see in the pictures that there is a "bulge" underneath the top of the nail that is rounded and almost seems like a separate part of the nail. That is the quick growing under the nail- so you can dremel or clip up until that point.

I have this dremel, I believe, with a flex shaft. The flex shaft is awesome so that the loud device isn't right near the dog. It's a few feet away on a pillow.

I love it. It's so much quicker than the battery powered devices, and you don't have to worry about replacing batteries every few months at $20 a pop.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm