Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-12-2014, 04:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I have met some Dachshunds that are super barky, super nerveous/scared, and fear aggressive. But, I've also met some that are like Gracie, or like Gracie with a higher activity level. So, I would assume if you found the right breeder, you'd be able to find the right dog!

Gracie certainly doesn't have barkiness issues (although if you howl, she'll howl - it's super cute) and her favorite activity is going to the nursing home to see my husband's grandmother, because she gets loved on by everyone.

As for stubbornness, she is. LOL She's also very smart and learns things quickly, but she isn't a "push button" dog and if she doesn't see why she should do something, she won't.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Active Pup

Hmm. Possibly a breed to keep in mind, then!

This may be either on topic or off-topic, I'm really not sure how to classify. How are dogs like toy poodles and bichon frisés with home grooming? My Chi/Corgi had a really easy coat - I just sort of scissored him with the kitchen scissors occasionally and brushed daily so he didn't mat - but I keep hearing how expensive/bad the grooming is for poodles and bichons. At this point I think a toy poodle or longhaired Chihuahua might be my top choices but as a university student, even with my part-time job I'm not exactly made of money. I can afford to have nice things, but $50 a week on grooming isn't in my budget right now ($100 per month for grooming is, though).

Is home grooming an option for these breeds? I would be willing to learn how to solo groom if it isn't like painting the Sistine Chapel. Are there affordable grooming kits maybe with the basic stuff to keep the dog comfortable?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

I can't imagine you would have to spend even $100 a month on it. When we had our Bedlington (similar coat type to a poodle) we had him professionally groomed about every six weeks. We'd even stretch it to 8 eight in the winter. At home, we would just keep up (sort of) with combing him out so he wouldn't mat. I do know plenty of people who clip their own poodles, but even if you didn't want to, I don't think you'd have to pay for it weekly for sure!

Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Depending on the cut you are having done, you shouldn't need to take your dog to be groomed more than once a month. I mean, if you keep its coat long and never ever brush it you may need to do it weekly to keep the coat mat free, but I'd say 4-6 weeks is about average, with an average grooming charge being around $45. If you don't mind a more scraggly look and the dog isn't prone to matting, you could go as long as 8 weeks.

I bought (good) clippers and groomed our Yorkie. I didn't brush him between grooms, just shaved his body short with a #7 and gave him a short schnauzer face with a #10, scissoring his beard and eyebrows to my liking. It wasn't difficult for me at all (but I also worked in a grooming shop, and while I never groomed dogs, I saw it done enough I had a basic idea in mind of how to do it to my own satisfaction.)

A good pair of clippers and a set of blades would probably run around $125-$250, depending on what all you get. I got my blades free and my clippers were $100. I used cheap human hair scissors to trim.

If you don't mind the work, and the learning curve, grooming at home will definitely pay off.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Active Pup

Oh good! That's a relief, heh heh. I've been hearing horror stories about weekly grooming bills and I sort of shirked away from it. I have no trouble brushing daily as I'm used to that (my boy didn't necessarily need it but I'm just one of those people who liked to brush him daily to make sure he was comfy) but I definitely couldn't afford weekly groomer's bills.

Four to six weeks is totally doable, though. I suppose I could also do some calling around to see what local groomers charge. The cut I was looking at was just a simple cut, with the face and feet clipped right down and the rest of the body a manageable length.

I'll have a look around to see what I can find in terms of blades and clippers near me. In a worst-case, does PetEdge sell good ones? That's where I usually get most of my pet stuff from. I usually like their products and find them pretty good but I don't know much about grooming things.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Yup, pet edge has very good ones! Just remember...If it's cheap, it probably is for a reason. Lol Typically, the clippers that come in "starter kits" aren't very good. But, for home grooming once a month or two, you don't need a $300 clipper set, either.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Yup, pet edge has very good ones! Just remember...If it's cheap, it probably is for a reason. Lol Typically, the clippers that come in "starter kits" aren't very good. But, for home grooming once a month or two, you don't need a $300 clipper set, either.
Agreed. I have the Andis cordless clippers that are about $45 and I haven't been happy with them - they just aren't sharp and don't clip evenly for me. I know others who like them for clipping their small dogs though. I have the Andis AGC 2 speed now and they are awesome - a professional groomer recommended them to me as the only ones she uses. You can often find them on sale for ~$100

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 07-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Active Pup

Thanks you guys! I'll give a look around for that specific model when and if it comes time. I've gone ahead and emailed a few breeders and have yet to hear back, but I'm feeling pretty good about things so far. Thanks for all of your help!