Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for the input, Miakoda. Very interesting. I've been looking for both Beagle and Treeing Walker instincts in her. So far she doesn't seem to tree like my coonhound (unsure if she's TW or English - DNA test showed TW but her coloring is more like an English) Abby. But who knows, maybe she could have been bred to not have much of that instinct?

Thanks for bringing up the brb as well, that had also crossed my mind. A neighbor used to have a beagle who didn't resemble the fancy AKC show-ring Beagles, and Lucy actually reminds me of her a bit in terms of looks. Now that you mention that, it brings me back to her story...her family moved & abandoned her, and before that they purposefully left their gates open so she could escape. According to the rescue group, they just didn't want her. Maybe they didn't think she looked like the beagle they were hoping for. I could be way off the mark but it does make me wonder.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

running walkers are pretty common in NY. and crossing them with rabbit beagles is one way they quickly make bigger leggier snowshoe hare "beagles"
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Active Pup

Interesting, thanks Pops2. That might explain why I haven't seen the treeing behavior in her (although she does sometimes jump up on people - not sure if that's just because she's still very young and energetic). She is quite a runner, just about as good as my coonhound.