Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you get a dog off craigslist?
Yes 39 69.64%
No 5 8.93%
Red Velvet Cake 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Big Dog

I got Leo off of craigslist. So yes, I obviously would.

He was being fostered, and part of a rescue, and his foster mom posted on craigslist to get a bit more exposure.

In my opinion, just because it is posted on craigslist doesn't mean a single thing about the dog or owner, especially for rescues. Yes, there is an increase of irresponsible owners or silly posts than you might find elsewhere, but there are a lot of obviously good responsible people too.

Now, I probably wouldn't get a puppy from their breeder from craigslist, because I would expect good breeders to not have to advertise in that way. But rescues? Absolutely!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I did. Arson is a Kijiji find.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Probably not... Firstly, no to BYB's who are advertising on there. Secondly, I really want health testing and lineage for future dogs. PRA sucks d!ck (as do other genetic health issues). Many other reasons that I won't go into.

Rider basically turned me off rescue for my personal dogs. I hope to begin fostering again once Tulsa gets older. I just hold very high expectations and don't like to fix socialization and drive issues so that I can trial. I'm over it. Lol.

Not saying never, but reputable breeder most likely for the rest of ever. Possibly breed specific rescue that has been vetted to extreme lengths.

OTOH, Josh and I have been talking about possibly buying a started gun dog but I don't know if that counts in this conversation.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

I found Penny on a local site very similar to Craigslist. I searched for a Yorkie rescue but they all either had outrageous adoption prices or I didn't meet their standards as an adopter because I have an intact dog.

It would definitely depend on the situation and the dog. Penny came from an elderly couple who felt their grandchildren were too rough with her. Ultimately, she did come from a BYB and I have mixed feelings about that for health reasons and such. But I would have the same situation going to a shelter or rescue.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Because I am not a puppy person and don't "do" anything with my dogs, I don't foresee going the breeder route (if I did, it would not be via Craigslist).

At this point, I would prefer Craigslist over any other option for finding another dog - when I get to that point. Because of my breed preferences, I am afraid to adopt a dog from a shelter, where dogs have not been tested in a home environment with cats and other dogs. I would rather come across a nice, older dog who's lived peacefully with cats and is known to be mellow around other dogs - and who I can visit in its home before committing to bringing it home.

I think it's just as legit as going through a rescue - these are the dogs that either can't get into a rescue or whose people are trying to find the best home possible on their own before resorting to sending them to a rescue. I did get a dog from CL a couple years ago. My SO had always wanted a pug, and so after a point I kept my eyes out for a pug in need of a home. Not a pug puppy with a $300+ "rehome" fee, but a pug in need. It took almost a year of casual looking and failed attempts, but one day I found a 4yo pug whose family was really trying to do right by him, and after a few emails back and forth, they brought him up to meet my dogs and left him with me. For free. He's still her little sidekick and has a great life.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

Probably not, because I wouldn't trust people to give me an accurate history... but I have kids, so dog bites are always a worry for me.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Default no

Would go to a shelter first.
Though I'm strictly a purebred person, there are so many postings that are complete frauds or BYB trying to dump pups that are grossly out of standard it's crazy.