Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Shame you aren't passing through Louisiana. The other day I had to come to a complete stop (from 65 mph) to allow 2 alligators to cross the road. Everyone needs to experience that.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I nearly ran over a turtle which was crossing a 2 lane highway I'd have been devastated!!!!! I hope he made it, but I find it highly unlikely

I saw elephant seals today. And got sunburn... Note to self: just because it's cool wind, the sun still works. School girl error.

I LOVE this place my expectations of California are just blown to pieces. I really really like it. Way way way more than I was expecting the weather is perfect (well, apart from the cold wind today, but it's gorgeous out the wind), the beaches and coast are beautiful, the town I'm staying in is not commercial at all, and it's so chilled out.

And I ate froyo again.

And I met this dude

And proof I'm not making all this up :P

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
It kind of runs like this every time, except now I hand them my card, say I don't have a zip code and I will fill up then come in and pay of they will unlock the pump. Seems to be working..... They clearly don't trust you with fuel here!!!!!
It's a security measure, unfortunately. Fuel theft is huge here, especially with stolen credit cards.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Well that's another thing!!!!!!

Your payment stuff is SO INSECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could be working my way across the states on some random card. In the UK you don't sign for anything anymore!! I haven't signed in YEARS. We use chip and pin almost exclusively. You can't buy anything without the PIN number for the card.

I mentioned this to one lady, who I bought a very expensive piece of art from I might add!!! And she said "what's that?". She didn't even know it existed. That was in Vegas! Not some sleepy town. I'm kind of gobsmacked how insecure it all is. I've been asked for ID for my card once. And that was the most remote weird service station in the world.

Oh and you place a lot of trust in places that swipe your card before you actually sign up to an amount!!!! For example, I just bought dinner. On my card. They take your card details before you sign and add the tip. So I presume they enter the amount AFTER you leave?! I'm convinced they're going to steal $1000s off me lol.

So far behind the times america!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

It's weird is t it, not using the chip and pin! We have it in Canada and was really weirded out when we were in Miami last winter. I mean I expected the Caribbean to not have it but I assumed the states would.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Top Dog

Yeah the credit card thing is so backwards. Heck someone stole one of our cards and tried to buy $800 of stuff with it, and the first payment went through. Crazy. Glad our credit card company is cool though.

And yet you can't pay tolls with your credit card on the highway.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Top Dog

we used to have to sign for everything, but then they changed the laws. Now I think it's only for things over 50dollars, otherwise it's just swipe and go. They figure anything less than that isn't worth worrying over
Old 06-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
we used to have to sign for everything, but then they changed the laws. Now I think it's only for things over 50dollars, otherwise it's just swipe and go. They figure anything less than that isn't worth worrying over
O.o

Extra letters.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Fortunately I don't have to pay any tolls

I've been added to a toll card, and their business absorbs those costs. It's not what you know....

Move up the coast today, and I go whale watching tomorrow!!!!! Sooo excited for that!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Glad you're having a great time, Dizzy!

Is your trip exclusively the western portion of the US or are you working your way east?