Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Wow, sad read. I just feel sad for all of them.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Taxiderpy

I understand that there are accidents, but at the same time, if a child dies as a result then it seems like there should be a consequence. Maybe not a murder charge if leaving the kid was an accident, but something.

Maybe that's just me being a rabid mom or a not nice person. I don't know. People get distracted and crash their cars. They're held responsible for damaged property and lost lives in those cases. There are lots of scenarios where carelessness results in a person's death, and that's why things like manslaughter charges exist.

That said, I can't imagine how devastating it would be to lose one of my children. Honestly, I would want to be held accountable if it was due to a failing on my part. They depend on me to keep them safe, and if I ever made a mistake or poor choice that resulted in such dire consequences for one of them I would hope that the justice system would do something about it.

Gah. Now I'm going to run around being hyper vigilant about kids in cars all summer long.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Thank you for posting that article.

I think having to live with the guilt and anguish of having killed your child, not to mention the horrific sight of finding your dead child, is punishment enough for these parents. I can't even imagine being in that position. I would never forgive myself, ever.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Yeah, intentionally leaving a child in for a long trip is just crazy. I DO actually understand it for a super quick run into the gas station or drop something off though and sometimes that can actually be statistically safer....or that poor woman who was trying to get a job and was homeless with no childcare etc.

I just get really sad when I see people really believing these parents (the ones who truly forgot) deserve to be charged with murder, or believe it proves they were unfit parents in the first place etc.

Actions have consequences even if they are "accidental".

I'm not bothering to judge others, but in speaking for myself, I've been stressed out to unbelievable proportions and going through heaven knows what, yet I have never ever forgotten my child in a car.

Just because someone feels guilty doesn't mean that they should then be absolved from the death of another human being.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I understand that there are accidents, but at the same time, if a child dies as a result then it seems like there should be a consequence. Maybe not a murder charge if leaving the kid was an accident, but something.

Maybe that's just me being a rabid mom or a not nice person. I don't know. People get distracted and crash their cars. They're held responsible for damaged property and lost lives in those cases. There are lots of scenarios where carelessness results in a person's death, and that's why things like manslaughter charges exist.

That said, I can't imagine how devastating it would be to lose one of my children. Honestly, I would want to be held accountable if it was due to a failing on my part. They depend on me to keep them safe, and if I ever made a mistake or poor choice that resulted in such dire consequences for one of them I would hope that the justice system would do something about it.

Gah. Now I'm going to run around being hyper vigilant about kids in cars all summer long.

This. .
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I've carried lots of children and babies in my car.

I have major paranoia every single time I need to stop to do something minor, about how you wrangle a baby/child out the car for a few minutes.

My point is, it wouldn't even cross my mind to LEAVE a child in a car alone out of sight. I'm completely paranoid about someone stealing my dogs from my car, never mind a child! Unless the child is old enough to be independent for a few minutes alone, there's just NO WAY I could do it. Too many worst case scenarios for my liking.

And if you're that scatter brained, leave a note on your dashboard or hanging from your mirror that says DONT FORGET THE CHILD!

Eta - I do feel for the guy in the story, but I kind of also think who forgets that for 9 hours?? Devastating and tragic.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

Maybe people arent reading the article....but its not about being scatterbrained.

Its not that there are no consequences for accidents...obviously there is a HUGE one here..the persons child is dead. However murder it is not.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Maybe people arent reading the article....but its not about being scatterbrained.

Its not that there are no consequences for accidents...obviously there is a HUGE one here..the persons child is dead. However murder it is not.
That's why there are a lot of other potential charges for people who kill someone through neglect. Then there are things like child endangerment, and well, neglect. Whenever someone posts a story about a dog dying in a hot car people here want to lynch the person responsible. I'm kind of baffled about the difference of opinion when it's a child and not a dog.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

If its a dog purposely left vs a child forgotten? THat to me is the huge difference. Punishing someone for making a stupid decision that causes injury is different than punishing someone for doing something they were totally unaware that they were doing. The parents are not choosing to leave the kids in the car (in the cases I am talking about) but have truly thought they already dropped them off at day care. There is no lesson there...no hey, think about this before you make this decision. In a choice yes, ramifications others have faced may make the person think about what they are doing.

And yes, the story that happened the other day, and in some others, the parent was charged with actual murder.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
That's why there are a lot of other potential charges for people who kill someone through neglect. Then there are things like child endangerment, and well, neglect. Whenever someone posts a story about a dog dying in a hot car people here want to lynch the person responsible. I'm kind of baffled about the difference of opinion when it's a child and not a dog.
Like I posted earlier, Im not calling for a lynching for anyone. I came within an inch of being that person with Gambit. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that I had taken him out of the car.

Just like everyone else I sat there with my mouth open that someone could be so foolish and scattered as to forget a living creature in a car.

No one thinks that they're that person who could do that, right until they are.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.