Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

I can't think of any breeds I am interested in that have something superficial that I don't like at the moment. Usually if I don't care for the look of the dog, it's also a breed I am uninterested in. With that said, part of the reason I didn't want an Aussie is because I prefer even just the look of tailed dogs. Or did, before I got one. Now I love the nub.

All of the breeds I do like, while I like them based on temperament, were also chosen with appearance in mind. That said, I don't want a really light eyed or blue eyed or bi-eyed dog. There is just something I don't care for. If someone offered me a puppy with light or blue eyes I would probably still take it and love it, but it's definitely not my preference and would take getting used to.

But yeah, those are more just general traits. I can't think of a breed example.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM
The Monster.

I don't like seeing my dogs' junk (or dog junk in general). So I strongly prefer a plush coat.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Higbread Dingbat

Curled or docked tails.
I don't know why, I mean I threaten Rigby with tail docking when she wont stop wagging it against things...but I just can't own one.

I also don't like curly coats, beards, dangling "stuff" visible, and tear-stain prone eyes.

Crap I'm picky when it comes to looks.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Excessive drool.

Seriously, whenever I have clients with drooly dogs, it's hard for me. Really hard. I had a basset hound once who drooled all over the place and I actually gagged... silently, but... hurk.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Duuuuude.

Beards. I think they're adorable, but in reality they're drippy and sloppy and totally gross me out.

Super short coats. I'm actually really picky about
coat type overall. I like feathered coats, like on spaniels (and Brittanys.) I'm not sure I would want something super thick and long (Rough Collies), spitz fluffy/thick (Samoyeds, Keeshonds), wiry (terriers)... curly is ok, not as good as feathered but ok. Long haired retrievers are ok. Fluffy herders are ok (although some Aussies are too hairy for me.) Lab type is... meh. Ok but definitely not my preference. Super short I don't care for but I like a few breeds that have it.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Definitely. As a whole, I love Poodles personalities, but don't really like the looks of them, their hair, etc.

I typically am turned off by docked tails. It's a huge reason for not getting a Silky or Aussie from a reputable breeder for me. If I fell in love with a dog, I'm positive I could look pass the no-tail thing but in general, it's not something I would seek out.

Typically avoid brachycephalic breeds. I find a lot of them cute but I don't think I'd personally want a dog that looked like that, and I don't think I could deal with any issues that came with it.

Nothing TOO fluffy (full coated Pomeranians and a lot of Shelties are way too much floof for me) but I don't want close to naked/hairless either.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

I don't mind long coats, but beards are a no. I just don't prefer the look.

This is not just superficial, but stumpy legs aren't my favorite either.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Puppy Dog

I love scruffy, beards, eyebrows, wiry, etc... love!

I also love soft medium type coats with feathering, like retrievers or spaniels.

I'm not a fan of the spitz-y look, with curled over the back tails and thick, one-length, foofy coats. But it's not a deal-killer for the right dog.

Though I love sighthounds, I don't tend to like the snipe-y no stop head type in some of the other breeds (collies). I like bold, round heads, big cheeks and round muzzles.

I prefer folded or dropped ears over completely pricked ears, but not huge hound hanging ears. (ear infections...ick!)

I also don't prefer the texture of some of the no-shedding curly hair where is it kinda dry and kinky curls. That being said my uncle has a black Standard Poodle with the most luxuriously soft coat. When freshly groomed it feels like crushed velvet. I could pet him all day long!

And though I would, and have, taken dogs with features on my 'not preferred' list the one major deal killer would be big slobbery jowls. The kind where you can see the pink of the inside of their mouth even when the jaw is totally closed. After working at a vets office and scraping cemented, dried drool off the ceiling and walls from a St. Bernard.... NOPE! Wouldn't have it in my house!

Gees... I sound picky... but aside from the slimy droolers, I'd take any dog that caught my heart
Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I don't really want a lab or golden because of how popular they are. It's stupid I know. I have other reasons for not liking labs now, goldens would still probably be a decent match, but the popularity thing (not just numbers but because people love them so much) is a turn off for me. It's like if he's super well behaved and nice people are going to assume it's because he's a golden not because I put a lot of work in. And that will bother me. It's a bad reason to avoid a breed, but I can't get over it.
This all the way. I don't like Labs or Goldens, and while some of it is superficial (because I'm not into solid colors, generally), a lot of it is a subtle resentment I'm kind of ashamed of... but can't get over. I so love pit bulls (especially flashy ones), but they're not even really my kind of dog. I'm not into happy, crazy, I-love-you-pet-me kinda dogs, really. If I was, I should go for Labs and Goldens, right? Because they're just that but (generally) without the cat and dog issues. But I'm so frustrated that everyone thinks retrievers are so naturally perfect, but I'm a groomer and see crazy, neurotic retrievers all the time, plenty of which have low bite inhibition. The pit bulls, well, they generally show amazing bite inhibition, but, you know... Oh well, getting off topic.

So superficial reasons I'm not into certain dogs:

Solid colors
Droopy ears
Droopy anything
Snorting
Drooling
Potato shape
Buggy eyes
Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

I'm really turned off by long bodied, short legged dogs like bassets and dachshunds. I like dogs with a more square shape.

I also don't really like the look of shepherds. Not sure why, but I definitely prefer drop/floppy eared dogs over pointy, and curly or feathered coats over medium coats.