Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-22-2014, 08:05 PM
PSD Partner

Sheena's allergies had gotten really bad. Her skin was red and inflamed looking all over, scabs on her belly, sides and under her legs. She wasn't very interested in the dog run either. She would go but her bouncy happy energy was gone. She would just stand in the river and let the coolness sooth her skin. We even do aloe treatments to try and sooth it at home. And yes she was getting Benadryl too. So we are trying a dehydrated food called NRG Original. It is pricy but so far proving to be what she needs. Today we checked her over and her skin is no longer red or inflamed. Only her scabs are left, along with loss of hair, to show that she was having bad allergies. Took her to the dog run today and she was acting like she was 8yrs old again. Running around, visiting with other dogs, running into and out of the water with excitement. And the best of all Doug and I have barely had to tell her to stop scratching she has done it so rarely. If this is how fast an improvement she is having just on dehydrated food I can't wait to see her on the raw diet.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Super! Glad to hear she's getting some relief.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Carnivora is one of the brands I feed as well, All three of mine really like it!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Puppy Dog

Default So much wrong with Romy's commets

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
We will agree to disagree. This could go on forever.
Hello naturalfeddogs,

There's so much right about your comments and so much wrong about Romy's.

As you know, dogs can survive but certainly not "thrive on carb rich human foods which wolves cannot handle" as Romy says... and he is incorrect about his comments on amylase.

I wrote an excellent webpage Your Dog is a Carnivore and a Domesticated Wolf which has withstood cross-examination in seven cases involving pet parents sueing their allopathic vet... the vets lost every time.

From my webpage:

"Herbivores and omnivores have one very powerful digestive weapon that dogs (carnivores) and cats (obligate carnivores) do not have… SALIVARY AMYLASE!

"Salivary amylase is a special enzyme that omnivores and grain and plant-eating animals (and humans) produce in their saliva.
Because grains are so hard to digest (contrary to what some nutritional “experts” and allopathic vets say), it’s a most critical enzyme that catalyses the breakdown of starch into sugars.

"In the saliva, amylase begins the chemical process of digestion needed to initiate the break down of starchy carbohydrates before they enter the stomach.

"Dogs (carnivores) and cats (obligate carnivores) do produce some amylase, but the enzyme is produced much further down the digestive tract, in the small intestine where they use amylase produced in the pancreas where the food is closer to going “out“ rather than coming “in“.
This places the burden entirely on the pancreas, forcing it to produce large amounts of amylase to deal with the starch, cellulose and carbohydrates in grains and plant matter.

"Without salivary amylase, a carnivore’s (dog’s) and obligate carnivore’s (cat’s) digestion of grains is decidedly more difficult, if not somewhat impossible.

"The ultimate effects of feeding your obligate carnivore cat or carnivore dog low-quality pet foods [i.e. grocery store kibble, veterinarian-sold "prescription diets"] that are loaded with carbohydrates (grains, starches, cellulose and sugars) that are low protein / high carbohydrate / high starch / high cellulose / high sugars include swings in blood sugar and insulin, insulin resistance and high blood sugar.

"Eating grains and corn in these low-quality pets foods are responsible for most if not all of the degenerative diseases that pet parents pay lousy allopathic veterinarians thousands and thousands of dollars to try and cure… actually, these allopathic vets usually don’t cure anything, they only try to treat the symptoms with powerful and dangerous drugs like steroids [i.e. prednisone) and most often make matters even worse, for your pet and your wallet… cha-ching!"
Roger Biduk

Last edited by Roger Biduk; 09-06-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 AM
such sights to show you

How can something be "somewhat impossible"? lol

Old 09-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Default What were you feeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
Sheena's allergies had gotten really bad. Her skin was red and inflamed looking all over, scabs on her belly, sides and under her legs. She wasn't very interested in the dog run either. She would go but her bouncy happy energy was gone. She would just stand in the river and let the coolness sooth her skin. We even do aloe treatments to try and sooth it at home. And yes she was getting Benadryl too. So we are trying a dehydrated food called NRG Original. It is pricy but so far proving to be what she needs. Today we checked her over and her skin is no longer red or inflamed. Only her scabs are left, along with loss of hair, to show that she was having bad allergies. Took her to the dog run today and she was acting like she was 8yrs old again. Running around, visiting with other dogs, running into and out of the water with excitement. And the best of all Doug and I have barely had to tell her to stop scratching she has done it so rarely. If this is how fast an improvement she is having just on dehydrated food I can't wait to see her on the raw diet.
Hello Nicole,

What was the exact brand and formula that you were feeding Sheena for most of her life before you switched?
Roger Biduk
Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Nice dogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
How can something be "somewhat impossible"? lol
Hello Sassafras,

Nice pic of the trio...

To answer your question; for example, 1% of grains may be digested, placing a huge burden entirely on the pancreas, while 99% cannot.
Roger Biduk
Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
Hello Sassafras,

Nice pic of the trio...

To answer your question; for example, 1% of grains may be digested, placing a huge burden entirely on the pancreas, while 99% cannot.
Roger Biduk
Define digested. I am a huge fan of raw but I am also a biochemist and I am wondering what your definition of digested is.

As has been pointed out, dogs produce amylase in their saliva. That means that grains/carbs are being broken down as the dog eats. That step, in particular, creates not burden to the dog as he will produce it regardless of what he is fed.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Default "dogs produce amylase in their saliva"... really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Define digested. I am a huge fan of raw but I am also a biochemist and I am wondering what your definition of digested is.

As has been pointed out, dogs produce amylase in their saliva. That means that grains/carbs are being broken down as the dog eats. That step, in particular, creates not burden to the dog as he will produce it regardless of what he is fed.

Hello Dekka,

They might elsewhere in the solar system, but certainly not dogs [or any carnivore for that matter] on Mother Earth...

I'm not going to repeat what I wrote in my post... it's all there, on my webpage and in the following great, industry-recognized 38-page white paper.

As a "biochemist", you'll enjoy reading the best white paper ever written on cat / dog nutrition The Biologically Appropriate Food Concept and the Dietary Needs of Dogs and Cats

You may want to read a few lines on page 6 under "Digestive Enzymes" and a few more starting on page 7 under "Biologically Appropriate Dog and Cat Food"

That white paper cost seven allopathic vets $146K in seven seperate suits... one would think a biochemist would know all of what is written in this excellent industry-leading white paper...

BTW, you say "As has been pointed out, dogs [carnivores] produce amylase in their saliva"... really... where again was that "pointed out"?

Anyways, enough time on this subject... good luck in the wonderful world of "biochemistry" and keep well.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Puppy Dog

Thumbs up Sheena's situation is all-too typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
Hello Nicole,

Most all allergies in dogs (carnivores) are diet related... being fed a kibble that is loaded with dangerous cabohydrates [grains, starches, cellulose, corn, sugars, etc.]... what you are now feeding is exactly the opposite, hence her excellent recovery... nice job...!

Most allopathic vets, instead of changing to a balanced, species-appropriate, raw meat diet or a commercial diet that resembles one (most will recommend garbage Hill's Prescription Diet, Science Diet or another similar, God-awful kibble) they'll prescribe powerful steroids (prednisone is the fave) and then the real serious problems begin.

I'd also give some raw or very lightly cooked meaty bones, meats and organ meats for added nutrition.

Sheena would also benefit greaatly from an excellent probiotic similar to what Mercola sells.

The great Dr. Karen Becker, DVM, NMD wrote an excellent article about the benefits of probiotics, video included.

Nice job getting Sheena on the good stuff and back on the right track.... you saved her...!
Roger Biduk