Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
PSD Partner

Default We are about to be the new converts to Raw

Looks like we will be switching to raw in about a week. Sheena has developed allergies to her kibble and I am not comfortable at her age going through kibble after kibble trying to find one that will work. Esspecially while watching her itching and suffering. So as of next Friday, and thanks to Luka's owner who is coaching me about feeding raw(Which Luka is on and looks gorgeous on by the way, I will ask her if I can post an updated picture for all those here who remember Luka and miss him) we will be switching both Daya and Sheena to a raw diet. Wish us luck.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM
love the fluff

Great change! Are you going prey model, BARF or commercial raw? My preference is prey model, but the other two are better than kibble for the most part as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
PSD Partner

I think it will be the commercial type plus tripe, raw chicken, beef and beef bones. I don't know what BARF or prey model is. Could you describe?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
love the fluff

Here is a site with info for you...http://preymodelraw.com

Commercial raw is expensive, and like kibble you will usually have other unecessary ingredients added. You have no control as to how much of what goes into it.

BARF has ground meat, fruits and veggies which are also not needed in a dogs diet. They aren't designed to be able to digest fruits and veggies well enough to make a dfference.

Prey model is whole chunks of raw raw meat/bones/organs. All of which are how dogs are designed to eat. No more is added. It's meant to imitate the way they eat in the wild. The link I gave you explains more about the differences, and has a getting started guide along with forums that are really helpful.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
Prey model is whole chunks of raw raw meat/bones/organs. All of which are how dogs are designed to eat. No more is added. It's meant to imitate the way they eat in the wild.
To be fair, 'dogs in the wild' eat primarily off of trash heaps, so I don't really see how this holds water. It's a good imitation of how wolves/coyotes/foxes/and so on eat, and since wolves are dogs' closest relatives it's something to go off of. But 10,000+ years of domestication probably does have an affect on digestive systems, whether we can see it or not.

^^Should add, I've been feeding raw for a year, so I'm not discounting the diet by any means. I just don't like to see "it's how they eat in the wild so that makes it best" as a 'pro' because I feel it kind of makes us look like we have no idea what we're doing or how to balance a diet.

Nicole: Good luck with the switch, let us know if you see improvement.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw View Post
To be fair, 'dogs in the wild' eat primarily off of trash heaps, so I don't really see how this holds water. It's a good imitation of how wolves/coyotes/foxes/and so on eat, and since wolves are dogs' closest relatives it's something to go off of. But 10,000+ years of domestication probably does have an affect on digestive systems, whether we can see it or not.

^^Should add, I've been feeding raw for a year, so I'm not discounting the diet by any means. I just don't like to see "it's how they eat in the wild so that makes it best" as a 'pro' because I feel it kind of makes us look like we have no idea what we're doing or how to balance a diet.

Nicole: Good luck with the switch, let us know if you see improvement.
I am talking about wolves. Not stray domestic dogs. Domestication has changed them in looks, not digestion. If so, domestic dogs wouldn't be able to handle raw and they do. Just fine. Domestic dogs and wolves share 99% of the same DNA. So close, they can breed together.

We do know how to balance their diet just fine. Variety. That's it. Wolves eat whatever prey they can get. Sometimes it's the same for several days in a row, other times when prey is plentiful they eat different stuff. We feed in variety as well, so we are balancing our domestic dogs as well or better than what a wolf may get. After a year of feeding raw, I'm sure you see your dogs are thriving well. I have been feeding raw for eight years now, and they are all thriving as well. Many improvements both in health and looks compared to kibble, so that pretty much says it all, IMO.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:52 PM
PSD Partner

Well we are going to try her on a commercial raw. We order two cases of Carnivora, the Chicken dinner one. It should be here in about 2 weeks. Sheena's scratching has become so bad though that I didn't want her on her kibble at all any more. So we decided to put her on NRG Original(a Dehydrated food) till the other stuff arrives. Sheena and Daya seem to really like it. Fingers crossed it helps ease her itching till then. Poor girl.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
I am talking about wolves. Not stray domestic dogs. Domestication has changed them in looks, not digestion. If so, domestic dogs wouldn't be able to handle raw and they do. Just fine. Domestic dogs and wolves share 99% of the same DNA. So close, they can breed together.
Digestion is what drove dogs to domestication, and it certainly did change as they adapted to living with us. Dogs have between 4 and 30 copies of the gene for producing amylase. Wolves have exactly 2. Amylase is what allows animals to digest starchy carbohydrates, and why dogs are able to thrive on carb rich human foods which wolves cannot handle.

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-an...-domestication

Now, I am not saying a raw whole prey diet isn't healthy. I think it's very healthy. And at the same time, there are diets which incorporate carbs that are also very healthy. If you dog has 4 amylase genes, it will probably do better with less carbs. If it has 30, then it will probably do great with some carbs.

Dogs =/= wolves behaviorally, morphologically, or diet wise. Diet is what separated dogs from wolves long before any other traits were selected for.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Digestion is what drove dogs to domestication, and it certainly did change as they adapted to living with us. Dogs have between 4 and 30 copies of the gene for producing amylase. Wolves have exactly 2. Amylase is what allows animals to digest starchy carbohydrates, and why dogs are able to thrive on carb rich human foods which wolves cannot handle.

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-an...-domestication

Now, I am not saying a raw whole prey diet isn't healthy. I think it's very healthy. And at the same time, there are diets which incorporate carbs that are also very healthy. If you dog has 4 amylase genes, it will probably do better with less carbs. If it has 30, then it will probably do great with some carbs.

Dogs =/= wolves behaviorally, morphologically, or diet wise. Diet is what separated dogs from wolves long before any other traits were selected for.
We will agree to disagree. This could go on forever.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Domestication has changed them in looks, not digestion.
What are you basing this on? This is demonstrably not true, as shown in the study Romy linked.

Why would selective breeding and co-evolution with humans result in changes to behavior, structure, and genetically-linked health problems but not digestion?