Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,562
Default We are about to be the new converts to Raw

Looks like we will be switching to raw in about a week. Sheena has developed allergies to her kibble and I am not comfortable at her age going through kibble after kibble trying to find one that will work. Esspecially while watching her itching and suffering. So as of next Friday, and thanks to Luka's owner who is coaching me about feeding raw(Which Luka is on and looks gorgeous on by the way, I will ask her if I can post an updated picture for all those here who remember Luka and miss him) we will be switching both Daya and Sheena to a raw diet. Wish us luck.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
naturalfeddogs naturalfeddogs is offline
love the fluff
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 230
Default

Great change! Are you going prey model, BARF or commercial raw? My preference is prey model, but the other two are better than kibble for the most part as well.
__________________
JENNY
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,562
Default

I think it will be the commercial type plus tripe, raw chicken, beef and beef bones. I don't know what BARF or prey model is. Could you describe?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
naturalfeddogs naturalfeddogs is offline
love the fluff
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 230
Default

Here is a site with info for you...http://preymodelraw.com

Commercial raw is expensive, and like kibble you will usually have other unecessary ingredients added. You have no control as to how much of what goes into it.

BARF has ground meat, fruits and veggies which are also not needed in a dogs diet. They aren't designed to be able to digest fruits and veggies well enough to make a dfference.

Prey model is whole chunks of raw raw meat/bones/organs. All of which are how dogs are designed to eat. No more is added. It's meant to imitate the way they eat in the wild. The link I gave you explains more about the differences, and has a getting started guide along with forums that are really helpful.
__________________
JENNY
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
straw's Avatar
straw straw is offline
Show Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
Prey model is whole chunks of raw raw meat/bones/organs. All of which are how dogs are designed to eat. No more is added. It's meant to imitate the way they eat in the wild.
To be fair, 'dogs in the wild' eat primarily off of trash heaps, so I don't really see how this holds water. It's a good imitation of how wolves/coyotes/foxes/and so on eat, and since wolves are dogs' closest relatives it's something to go off of. But 10,000+ years of domestication probably does have an affect on digestive systems, whether we can see it or not.

^^Should add, I've been feeding raw for a year, so I'm not discounting the diet by any means. I just don't like to see "it's how they eat in the wild so that makes it best" as a 'pro' because I feel it kind of makes us look like we have no idea what we're doing or how to balance a diet.

Nicole: Good luck with the switch, let us know if you see improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
naturalfeddogs naturalfeddogs is offline
love the fluff
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw View Post
To be fair, 'dogs in the wild' eat primarily off of trash heaps, so I don't really see how this holds water. It's a good imitation of how wolves/coyotes/foxes/and so on eat, and since wolves are dogs' closest relatives it's something to go off of. But 10,000+ years of domestication probably does have an affect on digestive systems, whether we can see it or not.

^^Should add, I've been feeding raw for a year, so I'm not discounting the diet by any means. I just don't like to see "it's how they eat in the wild so that makes it best" as a 'pro' because I feel it kind of makes us look like we have no idea what we're doing or how to balance a diet.

Nicole: Good luck with the switch, let us know if you see improvement.
I am talking about wolves. Not stray domestic dogs. Domestication has changed them in looks, not digestion. If so, domestic dogs wouldn't be able to handle raw and they do. Just fine. Domestic dogs and wolves share 99% of the same DNA. So close, they can breed together.

We do know how to balance their diet just fine. Variety. That's it. Wolves eat whatever prey they can get. Sometimes it's the same for several days in a row, other times when prey is plentiful they eat different stuff. We feed in variety as well, so we are balancing our domestic dogs as well or better than what a wolf may get. After a year of feeding raw, I'm sure you see your dogs are thriving well. I have been feeding raw for eight years now, and they are all thriving as well. Many improvements both in health and looks compared to kibble, so that pretty much says it all, IMO.
__________________
JENNY
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2014, 02:52 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,562
Default

Well we are going to try her on a commercial raw. We order two cases of Carnivora, the Chicken dinner one. It should be here in about 2 weeks. Sheena's scratching has become so bad though that I didn't want her on her kibble at all any more. So we decided to put her on NRG Original(a Dehydrated food) till the other stuff arrives. Sheena and Daya seem to really like it. Fingers crossed it helps ease her itching till then. Poor girl.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
I am talking about wolves. Not stray domestic dogs. Domestication has changed them in looks, not digestion. If so, domestic dogs wouldn't be able to handle raw and they do. Just fine. Domestic dogs and wolves share 99% of the same DNA. So close, they can breed together.
Digestion is what drove dogs to domestication, and it certainly did change as they adapted to living with us. Dogs have between 4 and 30 copies of the gene for producing amylase. Wolves have exactly 2. Amylase is what allows animals to digest starchy carbohydrates, and why dogs are able to thrive on carb rich human foods which wolves cannot handle.

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-an...-domestication

Now, I am not saying a raw whole prey diet isn't healthy. I think it's very healthy. And at the same time, there are diets which incorporate carbs that are also very healthy. If you dog has 4 amylase genes, it will probably do better with less carbs. If it has 30, then it will probably do great with some carbs.

Dogs =/= wolves behaviorally, morphologically, or diet wise. Diet is what separated dogs from wolves long before any other traits were selected for.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 AM
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
naturalfeddogs naturalfeddogs is offline
love the fluff
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Digestion is what drove dogs to domestication, and it certainly did change as they adapted to living with us. Dogs have between 4 and 30 copies of the gene for producing amylase. Wolves have exactly 2. Amylase is what allows animals to digest starchy carbohydrates, and why dogs are able to thrive on carb rich human foods which wolves cannot handle.

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-an...-domestication

Now, I am not saying a raw whole prey diet isn't healthy. I think it's very healthy. And at the same time, there are diets which incorporate carbs that are also very healthy. If you dog has 4 amylase genes, it will probably do better with less carbs. If it has 30, then it will probably do great with some carbs.

Dogs =/= wolves behaviorally, morphologically, or diet wise. Diet is what separated dogs from wolves long before any other traits were selected for.
We will agree to disagree. This could go on forever.
__________________
JENNY
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
Domestication has changed them in looks, not digestion.
What are you basing this on? This is demonstrably not true, as shown in the study Romy linked.

Why would selective breeding and co-evolution with humans result in changes to behavior, structure, and genetically-linked health problems but not digestion?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site