Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't do surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. And that's what I've been getting from vets in more recent years...that they don't want to do it unless the dog is having a really hard time.

When my 12 year old Chi mix, Jose` was young, he had a terrible time with it. It would pop out and he'd cry in pain. It popped out easily and often. So, he had the surgery which was somewhat successful for some years but then, as the vet predicted, it didn't hold forever all that well and it was a horrible recovery....loads of pain and misery. Awful. Once he healed, if I kept him exercised, it all but eliminated any problem for him. I actually notice it in both knees. But he hiked long mountain trails with the big dogs and me every day, ran, jumped around...was fine for years. If he missed too many walks in a row, that's when the thing gave him more trouble. So, those muscles, ligaments and tendons being strong help hold things together and counter acts the effects I think.

My little, tiny toy Poodle, Maurice has it mildly I think. It's popped out a couple times but he has no sign of pain and so far, it's very infrequent. So, I'll keep him exercised and hope it doesn't get worse. My other Poodle, Matisse was checked and the vet feels nothing loose there at all. I hope your little one will have an easy time of it too. Just be sure to take a walk or play fetch...something to build up his muscles and connective tissue every day.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Rylie has, I believe, grade 4 LP in her left knee... and grade 2 in her right.

She's actually going to be getting surgery this fall since the benefits will make the surgery worth it. There are days when her knee really bothers her and our vet feels surgery will be worth it for her. She still goes on walks and is very active (she's almost 9 years old), but I can tell there are some days that are harder than others.

I give her Glycoflex III every day. I wouldn't have considered surgery if her knee wasn't getting worse as time goes on.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep