Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

How important is it to have a rest day. I've been going 6 days a week for between 1-2 hours a day. Is there a certain rule of thumb about how you feel to know that it's time for a rest day? Or is 6 days in a row fine?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I think it depends on what you do. I walk or cycle every day for 1-2 hour pretty much, I only take a rest day when my legs are really starting to hate me. And I might still do some lifting that day.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
How important is it to have a rest day. I've been going 6 days a week for between 1-2 hours a day. Is there a certain rule of thumb about how you feel to know that it's time for a rest day? Or is 6 days in a row fine?
From the standpoint of physiology: incredibly important. A workout places stress on your muscular system and your nervous system. A rest day allows those systems to recover - and in the case of muscles, to repair themselves and grow. Rest days are just as important to building strength as the actual strength training itself. Here's a nice article from Behar on the subject: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/behar2.htm

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Went to Body Pump today and liked it a lot. I'm wobbly and can tell I worked out but I'm not painfully slow like I was when I went to the last class.

Is it the same track/music every time or is it different each time?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Went to Body Pump today and liked it a lot. I'm wobbly and can tell I worked out but I'm not painfully slow like I was when I went to the last class.

Is it the same track/music every time or is it different each time?
Whenever a new release comes out, instructors are supposed to use all of the tracks from that release for a little bit. Usually 3-4 weeks. After that, they can start mixing it up. Sometimes an instructor will go back and use an old release and work through all the songs from that release... more often, though, they'll pick a few songs here and a few songs there and mix it up.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Today at the gym I ran 2 miles straight in 20 minutes. I'm pretty proud of myself

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM
dogstrong

You rock, Lauren!

My results came back as normal. There are other things it could be, but honestly, I don't have the time, money, or energy to continue pursuing an answer that may not exist right now. I'm on a lower hormone birth control, which so far hasn't done anything other than dramatically shortening/lightening my period. I'm slightly less emotional, but that could also be me adjusting to being home and getting back into the routine. I've been on it for about five weeks and have another three left before I make the decision to keep trying it or to switch back.

I'm thinking about getting another gym membership, since I'm driving (and if all goes well, will have a car in a week or two ) and can get there when it is convenient for me, rather than trying to work it around my schedule AND everyone else's. I was getting stuck there for 6+ hours at a time previously, and I'm just... not able to do that. The closest gym (the one we were going to) is 20 miles away, so it's not like I could easily walk or bike there.

I feel like I'm rambling and making excuses. Bleh.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I told DH he has to help push me to go to the gym on my days off, and he's done a wonderful job. I'll be sitting at home going, "Meh, my legs and feet hurt from being on my feet for 8 hours yesterday, I'll just take a day off..." and then he'll text me, "Gym. Go. NOW." And I do, because when he gets home he asks me if I've gone, and I'll feel like crap if I say no. Lol

I did a half hour if cardio yesterday and actually jogged for 2/3 of it. I was proud of myself. A 13 minute mile may not be good...but it's a huge improvement for me. I just focused on my breathing and listened to my music instead of concentrating on my body going "I hate you so much!" and the actual distance I was running. That really helped.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I did a half hour if cardio yesterday and actually jogged for 2/3 of it. I was proud of myself. A 13 minute mile may not be good...but it's a huge improvement for me. I just focused on my breathing and listened to my music instead of concentrating on my body going "I hate you so much!" and the actual distance I was running. That really helped.
Yay!!! A mile is a mile, no matter how slow. Pushing yourself just to keep moving is a big deal.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Yay!!! A mile is a mile, no matter how slow. Pushing yourself just to keep moving is a big deal.
I went about a mile and a half total, and besides the two minutes of slow walking I gave myself after the first mile, I jogged for most of it. Averaged about...6.5 minutes per half mile, for a total of 1.5 miles. Then I said, "Okay, I'm done." LOL