Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Silence, peasants.

How far do you normally go?
If we're hiking, we don't normally go for distance so much as for time. Usually at least 2 hours, on free days more like three. Feist is just starting to learn to jog with me, and that's on a limited basis, but my normal runs are 3-5 miles so she'll eventually get up there.

How often?
Running, once she's old enough, 3x a week usually.
Hiking is also usually 3x a week, sometimes less if we hit the beach/park instead.

What are your favorite places to go (pictures encouraged!)?
Teh swamp!

How do you do it?
Running next to me on leash for, er, runs.
Offleash for hiking.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Highbread Dingbat

We hike and run

Usually between 5-10km, more if the weather is nice.

How often?
We used to go every day, but since moving we lost the awesome private spot we had. I have just been exploring the surrounding area. I try to go at least 3-4 times per week. Of course it's supposed to storm all week now though.

Yesterday we found the Red Hill Valley Creek trail. Turns out Hamilton is FULL of cool little trails and most of them interconnect, and most of them have some sort of neat little waterfalls.

Typically I like to go wherever isn't an overly used trail. Anywhere that the dogs can have a bit of freedom

How do you do it? IE: Are they pulling you? Running next to you? Long line? Off leash? Etc
Depends on the time, weather, and area.

We've been working on pulling:
I find it gives me a lot of motivation and keeps my posture up.

If it's too hot, they're usually somewhere beside me.

If we made it out early enough, or there's no one around, they get some off-leash time as well. But of course we're very diligent to ensure there's no one around.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
For those that run, or bike, or hike, or skate with your dogs:

How often?
How do you do it? IE: Are they pulling you? Running next to you? Long line? Off leash? Etc
in the summer we bike 3-4 times per week at about 3-6 miles per trip.
We go hiking, well I'd like to say 3-4 times per week too, but it's more like 2x's per month and those range from 5 to 15 miles. Biking is leashed. Hikes vary depending on the amount of other people and they types of trails.

we have a quiet neighborhood bike route on roads and hiking is whatever trail we decide to drive to. I love going up to Door county and walking the northern end, mostly because we can access the lake all the way around and let the dogs swim and run free
Old 05-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

How far do you normally go? Biking and running, usually only 2-3 miles with Elsa and Shambles. They're the big 10 miles or so hikers. Every one else will hike about 2-3 miles since they're all slowing down with age.

How often? Oh boy, usually 4-5 times a week. Magpie doesn't do any crazy physical activity. Old and all. Just waltzes around the neighborhood or solo on the hiking trail.

This ~1,00 acre hiking preserve. It's beautiful and it feels like we find something new even being out there constantly.

How do you do it? IE: Are they pulling you? Running next to you? Long line? Off leash? Etc No one goes off leash. Every one is on long lines, and I switch with the pulling with Sham and Elsa. She's not that great at it. :P
Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm so jealous of everyone else's hiking/running areas!

The only safe place we have is a paved path that turns into a crushed gravel path. It's gorgeous with all the wildlife and scenery, but I wish the ground was a bit easier and the trail was a bit less popular.

We jog with Artimis mostly, Talon rarely comes. I like Art pulling forward, and David prefers him to his side, so it depends on whose holding him. We go anywhere between 2miles to 8 miles recently. Though we have only been taking Art on the times we go fewer miles because it's starting to get really warm an dthe pavement warms up really bad. We generally check paws half way through and carry him back if they look bad at all. We go 3-4 times a week, though we've been lazy lately.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

We hike off off leash 2-4 times a week depending on my work schedule. Our favorite spot, is a fairly established trail that just isn't really used anymore. It leads up to the old reservoir for town and then some massive massive rocks. It follows along a stream so there are places for the dogs to cool down in the water and they can swim in the old reservoir if they so choose. Then if you're feeling adventurous you can also climb rocks.

And a few pictures of the rocks.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
How far do you normally go? Biking and running, usually only 2-3 miles with Elsa and Shambles. They're the big 10 miles or so hikers. Every one else will hike about 2-3 miles since they're all slowing down with age.

How often? Oh boy, usually 4-5 times a week. Magpie doesn't do any crazy physical activity. Old and all. Just waltzes around the neighborhood or solo on the hiking trail.

This ~1,00 acre hiking preserve. It's beautiful and it feels like we find something new even being out there constantly.

How do you do it? IE: Are they pulling you? Running next to you? Long line? Off leash? Etc No one goes off leash. Every one is on long lines, and I switch with the pulling with Sham and Elsa. She's not that great at it. :P
Looks gorgeous! Will you pm me the name please?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I hike (with Boo when she and I are in the same spot at the same time)! I've also tried jogging with her and she has a very nice slow jog pace which works well for me, but she doesn't do well at all in the warmer months. Obviously, both of these activities are off the table for her at the moment until (if) she heals back to 100%, but I would LOVE to share some older pics!

varies, but my hikes are typically between 4 and 7 miles (lower end of 2 and upper end of 12). Boo has never been on a day hike with me that is more than 7 miles. I also take her on shorter walks when I can through pretty areas, but I tend to think of those as "walks" versus "hikes."

How often?

extremely variable based on my schedule. Boo is a family dog, and I am away at school so she gets walked more on my breaks than anything. That said, the good hiking is closer to where I am at school, so many of the more interesting hikes that we've done have been when I've kidnapped Boo away to school or when she's at the lake with my family.

My favorite is anywhere with a nice overlook, but at home my two favorite routine walking spots are the old prison near my home and a makeshift trail to the Occoquan Dam.

Typically on a short or long line. Very occasionally have I let her off leash, but I don't intend to do that anymore.

PICTURES!

Down by school

Tinker Cliffs

Cole Mountain/Old Hotel Trail

Sharp Top (one of the Peaks of Otter)

In NoVA

The Dam

The Prison Trails (Laurel Hill)

That's all!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/