Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Are you dead yet?

Giving them to ratties would be a terrific option too!

I wonder, does pressure cooking only work with chicken/poultry bones or if you do it long enough, can it work with heavier bones like beef/pork ribs?

I ask because I have access to a LOT of cut up bones that are extremely cheap, but they are primarily for soup and aren't of great nutritional value to my dogs when they are raw, as they can't really eat the whole thing. However, the bones are seriously like $1 for a few pounds of them, and if there's some way I could turn them into a more complete, nutritious meal for the dogs I would. I'm broke and raw feeding is expensive sometimes.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Active Pup

Default dogs and chicken bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
I would NEVER cook bones in anyway! Raw bones are the only safe bones for a dog.
Actually Jen, larger chicken bones, such as thigh and leg bones, after being cooked in a pressure cooker for over an hour practically dissolve in four finger tips, much the way salmon and mackerel bones do in canned fish. Provided you ensure they've been pressure cooked to that level they are totally safe. You mentioned only giving dogs raw bones, while being more nutrient loaded, that also poses the risk of chipping teeth and enamel.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Huh, three year old thread, light some birthday cake candles, LOL. But it's something I've been curious about.

I caught a sale on whole chickens, cleaned them up, stripped off most of the meat, then stuck the carcass into the crock pot for 24 hours to make chicken broth for the dogs. I had read to toss in a dash of apple cider vinegar as well.

In the end I had some great broth with some meat, and the smaller chicken bones were mush because of the vinegar. The larger ones (legs) could probably have been ground.

I'll have to dig out my pressure cooker the next time I catch a chicken sale! Be much easier on my hydro bill, LOL.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnjunkie View Post
Actually Jen, larger chicken bones, such as thigh and leg bones, after being cooked in a pressure cooker for over an hour practically dissolve in four finger tips, much the way salmon and mackerel bones do in canned fish. Provided you ensure they've been pressure cooked to that level they are totally safe. You mentioned only giving dogs raw bones, while being more nutrient loaded, that also poses the risk of chipping teeth and enamel.
ANY cooking of bones IS dangerous to feed. I have yet to find bone that "dissolve" between fingers. Any knowledgable raw feeders wouldn't feed cooked bone in any form.

The bones that will chip and break teeth are the weight bearing bones of large animals like cows, buffalo, deer, elk etc.... It's because of the job they have to do. All the weight they have to support makes them very dense.

Bones like chicken, turkey, pork ribs, deer ribs etc.. are crunchy, and completely digestable, unlike cooked which is not. It also comes down to knowing your dog. Would you give a chi pork ribs or turkey leg? No. How about a medium/large breed? Sure. Feed your dog according to size and what they are able to handle. It's really common sense, and knowing how to feed raw.

BTW, name is Jenny.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Big Dog

Just happened to come across this thread. I have always thrown the chicken carcasses away, never thought of putting them in the pressure cooker but I will certainly do that the next time I have one. Always seemed like such a waste as you can never get all the meat off them and I am not much for making my own chicken soup. I would be much more worried about feeding raw chicken bones if you were worried about them splintering no matter how many people tell me you can.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
Just happened to come across this thread. I have always thrown the chicken carcasses away, never thought of putting them in the pressure cooker but I will certainly do that the next time I have one. Always seemed like such a waste as you can never get all the meat off them and I am not much for making my own chicken soup. I would be much more worried about feeding raw chicken bones if you were worried about them splintering no matter how many people tell me you can.
PLEASE don't ever feed cooked bones. Do you think they cook them in the wild? (dogs/wolves share 99.9 percent of the same DNA.) Cooked bones are not even digestable, and the nutrition is gone as well. I'm on my phone and can't post links, but go to preymodelraw.com and just look into raw feeding before doing it the wrong way. Raw bones don't splinter.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalfeddogs View Post
PLEASE don't ever feed cooked bones. Do you think they cook them in the wild? (dogs/wolves share 99.9 percent of the same DNA.) Cooked bones are not even digestable, and the nutrition is gone as well. I'm on my phone and can't post links, but go to preymodelraw.com and just look into raw feeding before doing it the wrong way. Raw bones don't splinter.
You seriously should consider stopping the "Sky is falling!!!" attitude with all your posts. I believe you have good information to share but it gets lost in your absolutes.

She wasn't saying she was going to feed her dog a diet of all pressure cooked bones. Just that when/if they make chicken (cooked because it's for humans) then instead of throwing away the bones they could pressure cook it making the cooked bones (Brittle and splintery) into a soft, malleable (Not brittle and splintery) treat for the dogs.

It doesn't matter if it isn't AS good for the dogs as a whole raw chicken carcass, it's not a main diet. It's just using all the parts of the buffalo.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM
love the fluff

I honestly wouldn't feed bones cooked as a treat anymore than as a meal. Its just as bad either way. I would just feed something else as treats.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Puppy Dog

I know a girl who home cooks for her dogs and does this with chicken quarters and quite a few ferret people do for a "soup" for older/sickly fuzz. Just have to cook it long enough for the bones to turn to mush is my understanding but have never done it myself, I could see it as a nice treat and way to use up human leftovers but I barely cook for myself, cooking for the dogs is not happening anytime soon.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Big Dog

Just curious why Naturalfeddogs says that cooked bones are not digestable. Why would they not be? I noticed today there were turkey necks on sale but as I would not want to feed them raw, thought I would pick some up and cook them in the pressure cooker. I am sure my dogs would choke on them if I fed them raw.