Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey27X834
The white Mini Schnauzer isn't recognised by the AKC as far as I know, yet it is part of the breed, and is no mutt.
White German shepherd is like that, too.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Show Dog

The white Mini is accepted by the vast majority of countries, except from about 5. The UK, Australia, Canada, USA and I may be mistaken, but New Zealand, don't recognise it, but in Germany, the breed's home land, it is recognised.

Very silly to say it's a mutt if it's not recognised by the AKC, but someone said something to me about a week ago I'll never forget.

People's opinions don't change what is fact, so don't get frustrated when people talk rubbish.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Just to add, it's not just normal pet owners who have this train of thought. I see this behavior and basic snobbery from dog show people as well.

I had a well known breeder who has been showing/Judging for over 20 years and is well known in the show world call both my Rottweiler and my Dobe (well he is mixed) both Mutts...and in a very sarcastic manner.
It was said to my Sister who was also showing. The lady inquired about my "Mutts"...then another show person saw my Sister with some Canidae food that our local distributor was displaying at the dog show...and she said, I hope your not feeding that to the Newfoundlands...you can feed that to your sister's other 2 Mutts!!!! My Sister was VERY offended and told her so.

Ignorance, snobbery and snotty behaviors dominante a lot of peoples personalities....I've learned to ignore them.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar7139
I wonder if people who say that realize where all of the AKCs breeds came from? OTHER REGISTERIES. Doh. The stupidity of mankind makes my butt hurt.
Not at ALL true. The breeds came from breed clubs which are members of the AKC that have maintain the stud book for their breed and have met the AKC requirement for recognition.

However, if the breed club rejects any aspect of its given breed, it is the final word on the standard for its breed. Such issues as color for one comes to mind.

The fact that a dog may be registered with another registry does not guarantee AKC recognition.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey27X834
The white Mini Schnauzer isn't recognised by the AKC as far as I know, yet it is part of the breed, and is no mutt.
You can register white Schnauzers with the AKC.....depending on what the parent club has to say about it. People just don't get the point------the AKC is a REGISTRATION body. Just like registering your car with the DMV cannot insure the quality of the car you own, or its safety ratio, the AKC cannot control the quality of the dogs registered with it. That is the job of the parent club........requiring limited registration for dogs carrying certain faults. And ultimately, it is the job of the educated, reputable, responsible breeders to educate the public......and not sell pets unless they are spayed or neutered and on limited registration, etc.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Speaking of colors of what is acceptable and non acceptable...with the Canadian Kennel club Gray and Brown Newf's are unacceptable colors and you cannot show them...with the AKC you can show them and they are accepted colors.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athebeau
Speaking of colors of what is acceptable and non acceptable...with the Canadian Kennel club Gray and Brown Newf's are unacceptable colors and you cannot show them...with the AKC you can show them and they are accepted colors.

Certain colors show another breed mixed in.

For example in my color red and solid black/brown colors are prohibited.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Certain colors show another breed mixed in. oriondw
A Newf is a mixed breed dog...most purebred dogs are. They did have brown dogs in their making and gray dogs. It's just the CKC is a bit more picky than the AKC.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar7139
I wonder if people who say that realize where all of the AKCs breeds came from? OTHER REGISTERIES. Doh. The stupidity of mankind makes my butt hurt.
Yes, I agree. The stupidity of mankind makes my butt hurt too beacuse if you knew anything at all about the AKC then you'd know that's not an entirely accurate statement.

The AKC is the oldest and most prestigious kennel club available in the United States of America. Founded, in 1898 th AKC was regsitering breeds long before any other registry. So that being the case, how was it that many of the earlier accepted AKC breeds came to the AKC without having ever beenr egistered with another registry?

I'll definitely second that, the stupidity of mankind makes my butt hurt.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 AM
The ***** idiot

Heres another twist to this

Ya know the three ACCEPTED colors of Labs - Black, Yellow, and Chocolate??
Well, while doing some color genetics reading I discoverd that chocolate was NOT an orginal color. Chocolate was most likely came from another closely related breed such as a Chessie or Viszla.

But however the Labrador did not originate from Labrador of Canada. It was originally called the St. Johns Newfoundland Retriever and when they were banned for a period of years back in the 1800s they were then imported into Britian where it was then perfected into the Labrador Retriever as we know today. Yellow Labradors were likely a product of inbreeding and a mutation of the black pigment gene.

And heres another twist-
What about albinos? Are albinos allowed to show? Are the accepted into the breed registry? Albino is a lack of pigment of any kind resulting in a snow white appearance. The way to tell if you have a true albino dog is to look at the skin- is it pale white, are the gums pale white? And usually the eyes will be a light ice blue color. And of course the hair will be snow white. Just wondering....