Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Why can he not wait patiently? Why must he whine, and jump, and generally act like a stupid, annoying animal? SITTING OUTSIDE FOR A WHOLE MINUTE WILL NOT KILL YOU STUPID DOG. The muddy pawprints all over my door is getting very annoying, and if he scratches anything or tears up the screen he's in trouble. I don't even know how to work with him on it, because if I ignore him, he WILL scratch something up, but telling him to get off or sit reinforces the behavior because he's getting attention.

I guess I need to start from scratch and work on him being okay left alone in curtain areas. He's fine if I crate him, or put up a gate or a shut an inner door with him on the other side...but apparently outer doors aren't the same.
Did you raise him in an apartment? I found that mine, Mia especially, had to learn that it's ok to be in the yard. I feed them outside in good weather now, and we play a lot out there. It's really helped to just get her okay with relaxing out in the yard. Especially giving her things like raw meals outside where she gets preoccupied with eating/chewing.

But basically I think it's from the fact that in apartment living she was either outside with me on a leash or inside. If we were off leash outside we were 'doing something' so outdoors was never just a place to 'be'.

I have a big glass door so I can watch them from the kitchen/living room if anyone is worried.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm All Ears

Oh and I worked it very very slowly. Like I'd let them go potty then I'd duck inside for a minute. It's taken a long time to get them ok with being out there extended periods and I'd never leave them outside if I wasn't right near the door watching. Mia sometimes still has barking fits (last week it was birds she was chasing along the fence).

I also did a lot of days where I'd gate them in the kitchen and leave the back door open. Mia would come and go as she pleased so that helped, I think.

I just like for them to get more outdoor time if possible when it's good weather.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Did you raise him in an apartment? I found that mine, Mia especially, had to learn that it's ok to be in the yard. I feed them outside in good weather now, and we play a lot out there. It's really helped to just get her okay with relaxing out in the yard. Especially giving her things like raw meals outside where she gets preoccupied with eating/chewing.

But basically I think it's from the fact that in apartment living she was either outside with me on a leash or inside. If we were off leash outside we were 'doing something' so outdoors was never just a place to 'be'.

I have a big glass door so I can watch them from the kitchen/living room if anyone is worried.
Quote:
Oh and I worked it very very slowly. Like I'd let them go potty then I'd duck inside for a minute. It's taken a long time to get them ok with being out there extended periods and I'd never leave them outside if I wasn't right near the door watching. Mia sometimes still has barking fits (last week it was birds she was chasing along the fence).

I also did a lot of days where I'd gate them in the kitchen and leave the back door open. Mia would come and go as she pleased so that helped, I think.

I just like for them to get more outdoor time if possible when it's good weather.
I did raise him in an apartment and while I wasn't always right out there with him, most of the time it was a "go out on your chain, then come back in" kind of thing. I think the main issue may be that the door is glass? He's never had that before, and I think the lack of a "solid" barrier is aggravating the issue. That, and I'm not sure if he views it as an extension of the house.

I may try feeding him outside and see if that helps. I also like the idea of leaving the door open, but then I'd be super freaked out that giant bugs would come inside.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:

This. Mine stay outside during the day as long as someone is here and the weather is nice. The dogs I raised from puppies get it, they know when hey go out and when they come in. Buddy on the other hand did the whole whining, scratching at the door and generally throwing a tantrum. That lasted for a month or so, now he l, like the other dogs can't wait to get outside.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 AM
such sights to show you

I made a conscious decision to sacrifice my screen door on the altar of "you don't get what you want that way."

He doesn't really jump on the screen door anymore, but eventually he knocked out a big enough hole that they can just jump through it if the inner door is open so while I know he learned A lesson I'm not completely sure WHICH lesson. If I ever replace it, I guess I'll find out.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I made a conscious decision to sacrifice my screen door on the altar of "you don't get what you want that way."

He doesn't really jump on the screen door anymore, but eventually he knocked out a big enough hole that they can just jump through it if the inner door is open so while I know he learned A lesson I'm not completely sure WHICH lesson. If I ever replace it, I guess I'll find out.
Aww no if you replace it that'll mean no more urban agility

Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Ugh I am SOOOOO over dog reactivity

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Got an awesome vest on etsy from GiveADogAHome for Roxie. It is bright yellow and says, "in training, keep dogs away". Top notch vest, and no dogs bothered us today. Lots of questions and compliments and well wishes (that Roxie gets better/less terrified of other dogs). Roxie also got to give kisses to quite a few people.

Why did I not do this sooner? More interaction with people, and none with dogs. I should have got this vest ages ago. My only regret is not having "please" in front of "keep dogs away". That was rude of me.

But so much yay. Only downside is that I can't use the vest and my Stillwater ring harness. Oh well.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:11 PM
orange iguanas.

omg. My arms are complete jello after the wrestling match that just ensued in order to trim Cajun's nails. CLEARLY they have never been trimmed before. And probably no one has ever touched her feet before. I have NEVERRRRR had a dog flail that much.

My plan was to try actually desensitizing her but they were just so long and the CLICK CLICK CLICK was too annoying.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
omg. My arms are complete jello after the wrestling match that just ensued in order to trim Cajun's nails. CLEARLY they have never been trimmed before. And probably no one has ever touched her feet before. I have NEVERRRRR had a dog flail that much.

My plan was to try actually desensitizing her but they were just so long and the CLICK CLICK CLICK was too annoying.
I trimmed my dogs' nails today, too, and Abrams decided he wanted to be a butt. I got the front ones done okay with only minor wiggles, but when I went to do the back...FLAIL FLAIL FLAIL CHEW NIBBLE MOUTH FLAIL. Brat. So he got held down and had treats thrown at his face until he thought it would be a good idea to stop being an idiot. Dumb dog. I literally only had to tip two nails on each foot. I would really hate to see how he'd act if he was owned by someone who had never touched his nails before. I've been doing them every two weeks since he was 8 weeks old and he's still a butt. He'd probably be one of those chainsaw dogs that takes a muzzle and 4 people to hold down.

I need to remember to try smearing peanut butter on the floor next time...