2014 Official Chaz Fitness Challenge

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Congrats, SoCrafty! I would up your calorie intake, 1250 really isn't enough for anyone long term.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I re-downloaded my app (Lose It). The first couple of days, I had no problems going from like 2400 calories a day to 1250, but yesterday and today I'm struggling. I'm exercising daily (somewhat moderate to intense) and I think that is the issue. Am I not taking enough calories per day? You earn calories when you exercise with the app, but I still don't know if its enough.
Holy balls 1250 is very very little!
Here's a very good calculator:
http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Lifting/weights question:

I have now lifted like...4 times? And I'm having a difficult time gauging how much/how fatigued I should be. Mainly with my arms. I have like NO upper body strength, at all.

I've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine that I use. There are some that I can do that and definitely feel the muscles being used, and really struggle to get the last set out, and I feel like that is how it should be? For some though, I honestly can't finish all 3 sets. On those ones, should I lessen the reps and keep the weight up? Or should I put less weight on it and complete all 3 sets?

Thanks in advance!

SoCrafty

Thank you Fran, Beanie and Julie! I THOUGHT that wasn't enough. I will definitely check out the calculators you posted. I was using lose it to track my weight, what I was eating and my exercise. I had success with it a long time ago, but I was doing 1800 calories I think.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Lifting/weights question:

I have now lifted like...4 times? And I'm having a difficult time gauging how much/how fatigued I should be. Mainly with my arms. I have like NO upper body strength, at all.

I've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine that I use. There are some that I can do that and definitely feel the muscles being used, and really struggle to get the last set out, and I feel like that is how it should be? For some though, I honestly can't finish all 3 sets. On those ones, should I lessen the reps and keep the weight up? Or should I put less weight on it and complete all 3 sets?

Thanks in advance!
This is not entirely true, but for the purposes of our discussion, when your muscles are fatigued, that's when you get muscle growth and strength gains. Working to failure is not necessary (although sometimes it's kind of amusing to get stuck in muscle failure. Hm. I cannot get out of this squat. WELP.) but when you're specifically in the weight room, you should be looking for fatigue.

Also note that some bodybuilders call "fatigue" and "failure" the same thing... here I define fatigue as more the warning sign that failure is coming, whereas failure is... actual failure. Say you're doing tricep dips off a bench and your arms give way and your butt hits the ground. Failure.

It's kind of hard to explain how much weight, because it's based on feeling. There is no easy answer, you just have to play with it to figure out what's right and what's too much. You should be lifting a weight that is heavy enough that your last few reps are a struggle BUT you can still complete them WITH GOOD FORM. In other words, your thinking is on track, you should be struggling to complete a set - the key is really how your form is despite how you feel; can you maintain good form even though you're feeling physical struggle? Because you can force your way through some additional reps with crappy form, but that's not helping you and is inviting injury.
If you can't finish with good form, you need lower weight. OTOH if you're not feeling that struggle at the end, you need more weight.

I hope that helps, it's really hard to "describe" since it's mostly based on achieving a feeling! =P I think you've got the right mindset though. Just pay attention to how your form is doing and adjust from there.

Fran27

I typically stop when I fail. Often I can't finish my sets either. Make sure to give yourself a minute between sets though.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
This is not entirely true, but for the purposes of our discussion, when your muscles are fatigued, that's when you get muscle growth and strength gains. Working to failure is not necessary (although sometimes it's kind of amusing to get stuck in muscle failure. Hm. I cannot get out of this squat. WELP.) but when you're specifically in the weight room, you should be looking for fatigue.

Also note that some bodybuilders call "fatigue" and "failure" the same thing... here I define fatigue as more the warning sign that failure is coming, whereas failure is... actual failure. Say you're doing tricep dips off a bench and your arms give way and your butt hits the ground. Failure.

It's kind of hard to explain how much weight, because it's based on feeling. There is no easy answer, you just have to play with it to figure out what's right and what's too much. You should be lifting a weight that is heavy enough that your last few reps are a struggle BUT you can still complete them WITH GOOD FORM. In other words, your thinking is on track, you should be struggling to complete a set - the key is really how your form is despite how you feel; can you maintain good form even though you're feeling physical struggle? Because you can force your way through some additional reps with crappy form, but that's not helping you and is inviting injury.
If you can't finish with good form, you need lower weight. OTOH if you're not feeling that struggle at the end, you need more weight.

I hope that helps, it's really hard to "describe" since it's mostly based on achieving a feeling! =P I think you've got the right mindset though. Just pay attention to how your form is doing and adjust from there.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I hate Second Day. I'm gimping around the dealership because of Wednesday's Leg Day.

And yet, I sadistically love it all the same because PROGRESS.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Really pushed myself on weights last night, and killed W2D2 today.

I feel awesome. WHY DIDN'T I JOIN A GYM EARLIER!!

Also, I have been having way less headaches, and my stress level has gone down, despite this/next week being finals.

Again, WHY DIDN'T I JOIN A GYM EARLIER?!

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Right now we're doing C25k MWF since the gym we go to is closed in the weekends. I know some people will tell you to take an off day between working muscle groups, but I wanted to go in on the off days and use their weight machines, or use their pool. Thoughts?

I also plan on continue with a workout dvd at home, or would that be too much, or is it a kind of wait and see how tired you are deal?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Right now we're doing C25k MWF since the gym we go to is closed in the weekends. I know some people will tell you to take an off day between working muscle groups, but I wanted to go in on the off days and use their weight machines, or use their pool. Thoughts?

I also plan on continue with a workout dvd at home, or would that be too much, or is it a kind of wait and see how tired you are deal?
It's fine. You can even run back to back days, just don't overdo it. I run a short run Friday and then long run Saturday, or sometimes my long run is Sunday and then I run again on Monday. Don't over think it. Just follow the "if it hurts, stop" rule.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Ordered my canicross kit for the herding brats - should be here within the next week or so.

Bought new running shoes, all comfy and fancy (and on sale!)

New sports bra - though I may have to invest the time into finding one that fits a bit better (I love 'em...but sometimes I really hate them)

And of course my new running shirt that says "Powered By Border Collies" :lol-sign:

This year we are prepared for the 5k, 30 minutes last year in all the wrong gear and no time, aiming for 20-25 this year and with the right stuff.
2 months to really train....aaaand GO

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Today we had a sub instructor for BodyPump. She did an old release, one that actually pre-dates when I started regularly doing BP, but I recognized a few of the tracks anyway from having instructors work them into other weeks. In particular was the shoulder track. I loaded up my bar with normal shoulder weight, then we went down on the floor to start with push-ups. As soon as the song started I was like "oh no... this one." I remember that track... in a bad way. It's killer. So tough. The original "I need to drop my shoulder weight down because that's too tough to finish" track. But it was too late, my bar was already set and push-ups were starting...

And then I kicked the *@)# out of that shoulder track.

I feel invincible.

Fran27

I kinda miss Bodypump. Maybe I should go back once in a while but I have no idea what weight I should use as it's been a while, and I'm stronger now...

Amazon had some running shoes on daily deals two days ago so I ordered some. Hopefully they fit me fine, otherwise I'll have to return them I guess. Yesterday I went for a second walk and decided to run a little bit instead, and I ended up running the whole way - almost 3 miles. It took 35 minutes (instead of my 45-50 minutes when I walk). I was psyched. I hadn't run for more than 3 minutes in 18 years! I'm not even that sore today... but my lungs still don't feel very happy about it.

Now I just have to figure out how many times a week to do that. I didn't feel so good afterwards, but I didn't have much in my stomach either. Need to figure that out too... when I should eat. I think I still like walking more, but I figured if I can burn more calories in less time, it's pretty worth it (well, except I need a shower after).

I really don't know about running on the treadmill at the gym though... which I'd have to do during the Summer. It seems pretty awkward. Thoughts?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I kinda miss Bodypump. Maybe I should go back once in a while but I have no idea what weight I should use as it's been a while, and I'm stronger now...
WAY down. Trust me LOL. I went back to BP about a year and a half ago after just lifting weights downstairs and was like "I can do this!! *loads up bar*" Worst pain I have EVER been in, including when I pinched my sciatic during my half marathon and my back was killing me. Mostly because every. ****. muscle. hurt as opposed to just my back and legs from the half. Way way way down. Treat it like it's your first time doing BP.

I run on the treadmill during summer. Too humid most of the time to be able to breathe well. I don't like a run where it feels like I'm swimming.

Fran27

Yeah maybe, I've been lifting heavy weights 3x a week though, and definitely heavier weights than 6 months ago when I stopped bodypump, so who knows! My endurance might suck though, lol!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah maybe, I've been lifting heavy weights 3x a week though, and definitely heavier weights than 6 months ago when I stopped bodypump, so who knows! My endurance might suck though, lol!
Yeah that was my thinking too... and I paid for it. I was fine during the class. It wasn't until I woke up the next morning. And the next, and the third and fourth day were pretty bad too.

What exactly IS bodypump?
BodyPump is a Les Mills brand class, "the original barbell class workout." It is low weight, high rep barbell training, all set to music. There are eight different tracks - first a warmup, then squats, chest, back, tricep, bicep, lunges, shoulders, core, then a cool down. IMO it's fun, but I also like burpees, so...

Gets a lot of heat from some bodybuilders for being "not strength training" because reasons. Even though science has shown high weight, low reps and low weight, high reps are both just as effective so long as you work to fatigue. BUT REASONS.

I like both doing BP and working out on my own in the weight room, they're different. There are several people at my gym who do both. A lot of people who do just one or the other.

FG167

BodyPump is a Les Mills brand class, "the original barbell class workout." It is low weight, high rep barbell training, all set to music. There are eight different tracks - first a warmup, then squats, chest, back, tricep, bicep, lunges, shoulders, core, then a cool down. IMO it's fun, but I also like burpees, so...

Gets a lot of heat from some bodybuilders for being "not strength training" because reasons. Even though science has shown high weight, low reps and low weight, high reps are both just as effective so long as you work to fatigue. BUT REASONS.

I like both doing BP and working out on my own in the weight room, they're different. There are several people at my gym who do both. A lot of people who do just one or the other.
Hmmm so someone coming from CrossFit to a cheaper alternative may like this a lot. I miss lifting. I signed up for the university's gym/classes and that is one that they offer at lunch. I'm going to try to start going next week. This made me even more excited.

ETA: they also offer a Body Combat or a class with a combo of those...recommended??

Members online