Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

In France we didn't do baskets or bunnies, it's Easter bells that drop chocolate in your yard/house (although from what I see on my friends' feeds, they drop toys now too ). So we typically had a egg hunt in the backyard (they don't have the plastic eggs we have here either, I don't know why, it's just so handy and fun). I loved it though... so much chocolate.

We didn't start with the kids until they were 3, to be honest (and we had our house). I hide a bunch of stuffed plastic eggs in the yard (typically they have candy, stickers, this year I'm adding some lego figurines and some of those adorable erasers from Japan). For the basket it's always been pretty full of... stuff. Bubbles, chalk, little toys, always a chocolate bunny (just because), small puzzles... This year it's mostly some lego, pencils, stationary sets, couple Barbies. stuffed dog, mini lalaloopsies, some beginner reader books, hair stuff, and a transformer. I want to hide the basket with a trail of candy but, well... with the dog, I don't really see how it would work out. I'm thinking of doing some kind of hunt with clues though, as they are starting to read.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yes we do. Usually one big basket and then random goodies that fit inside of little plastic eggs. Last year I put a bunch of Littlest Pet Shop toys inside eggs. not sure what I'll do this year just yet. Also some fun colorful socks inside eggs (she likes fun socks lol) and then lots of chocolate in them (last year I accidentally left the eggs out and Beezer ate an entire bag of foil wrapped chocolate eggs and York peppermint patties wrappers and all... not even so much as a hiccup. he's got a stomach of steel. I was sure he was going to be in some kind of distress but nope... just colorful, shiny poops).

then I usually try to include a chocolate cross or a Christian based Easter story and make sure we talk about what Easter really means beyond the fun egg hunts.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

We don't do the Easter Bunny (or Santa, or the Tooth Fairy, etc) but he does get a basket with goodies, etc. Last year he got just a few pieces of candy, and then puzzles, small toys, etc. I also put popcorn in the eggs in his basket last year, which he thought was awesome
Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
+ Nika

Well, My Grandma still does easter egg hunts at her house, & I still enjoy doing them

My parents did the easter bunny. We would usually get candy, a few dollars,a book or DVD,stuff animals, & tons of chocolate.

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian

Nika 14 w/o. Siberian

(Picture coming soon!)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I remember back in the day we would go to Grandma Eva's house (my stepdads family) in a town that was 8 hours away to spend easter and every year the parents would take us kiddies out to a movie at night while the grandparents hid all the goodies and when we got home we had to go straight to bed with no lights on (so as not to ruin the surprise lol). It was always the "easter bunny" and we knew better but it was so fun to keep up the charade

I love this stuff with kids. More often than not, they know but keep it up because it's fun

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm All Ears

My dad was sooo bad at hiding the eggs. He'd always forget then try to be all sneaky. Totally all knew that he was hiding the eggs but I thought it was cute/fun so I let him. I don't ever remember believing in the easter bunny at all because it seemed weird and the guy at the mall was obviously not a real bunny. But the easter egg hunting was FUN. It still is. I love watching my nieces hunt eggs and get all excited about it.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I'm not sure if I ever really believed in Easter Bunny or not. Probably not, because my mom also did an easter egg hunt with the daycare kids during the day, so I probably was in on that haha. I don't remember.

We didn't do a lot of the going to have photos taken with the Easter bunny though. PetSmart used to do Easter bunny photos for pets but they don't do that around here anymore. Kota peed on the Easter bunny one year. Bad Koko.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 PM
+ Nika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I don't ever remember believing in the easter bunny at all because it seemed weird and the guy at the mall was obviously not a real bunny.
I was terrified of easter bunny. I later found out that that person in easter bunny costume, was my dad I think I might have a picture, I'll try to find it.

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian

Nika 14 w/o. Siberian

(Picture coming soon!)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Mutts to you

Back when we were kids, the Easter Bunny would hide our baskets (usually candy, small toy or book) and then sit and snicker while we searched all over the house (yes, we knew Mom was the Evil Easter Bunny). Weren't allowed to eat the candy until after breakfast and church. Am I dating myself by saying after church, we'd walk with the crowd for the 'Easter parade'?

The Evil Easter Bunny was also pretty stubborn and continued hiding baskets until all of us kids finally moved out. I think my older sister was home from college when she declared the Easter Bunny couldn't outfox her anymore with the hidden basket. Sis eventually found her basket, hidden in her bedroom, under a pile of laundry she'd left on the floor. Yeah, the Easter Bunny got the last laugh that year.

Now the Evil Easter Bunny hold egg hunts for the grandkids, and being an organized Bunny, color-coordinates for each child so each one has a different color to search for, with age/gender-appropriate small gifts or candy inside.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey