Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
YAY Juno! Where are you taking classes?
Canine Coach, just a fun boredom buster class!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

Small class conundrum. Journey and I start a competitive Obedience class on Wednesday and I really want to get her back into Agility classes as well. But the next set starts on a Tuesday night which I cannot do due to my work hours and the one after is also on a Wednesday while our Obedience class is still running. It begins right after my Obedience class time, so technically I could take the Agility class as well right after the Obedience class is over, but I don't think it would be beneficial or fair to Journ to make her learn for two hours. So I feel like I should wait even longer on the Agility class, but I want to do it now. I really don't think she would be happy to do it though. Two hours of training is a long time, and as eager and happy as she is, I think she would be bored and distracted by the time the second class begins. Maybe not, but who knows. I try to keep training short and fun. Oh well. I guess there is no rush. I just really miss asking classes. Especially Agility. Hopefully there will be another non-Tuesday Agility class later this spring or summer.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Small class conundrum. Journey and I start a competitive Obedience class on Wednesday and I really want to get her back into Agility classes as well. But the next set starts on a Tuesday night which I cannot do due to my work hours and the one after is also on a Wednesday while our Obedience class is still running. It begins right after my Obedience class time, so technically I could take the Agility class as well right after the Obedience class is over, but I don't think it would be beneficial or fair to Journ to make her learn for two hours. So I feel like I should wait even longer on the Agility class, but I want to do it now. I really don't think she would be happy to do it though. Two hours of training is a long time, and as eager and happy as she is, I think she would be bored and distracted by the time the second class begins. Maybe not, but who knows. I try to keep training short and fun. Oh well. I guess there is no rush. I just really miss asking classes. Especially Agility. Hopefully there will be another non-Tuesday Agility class later this spring or summer.
I think that since you are not training straight obedience or agility for two hours, it would be fine! I guess it would depend on the dog, but I think a normal, happy to work with you dog like an Aussie would be fine doing that for two hours.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 PM
The Monster.

That sounds like a lot. You also need to keep in mind the homework associated with the classes too. I'm not sure about you, but I don't have enough time to practice exercises for two classes as well as work throughout the week.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
That sounds like a lot. You also need to keep in mind the homework associated with the classes too. I'm not sure about you, but I don't have enough time to practice exercises for two classes as well as work throughout the week.
Yeah, there is definitely that as well. Good point! I am going to wait on the Agility class, but I just hope there will be one running once late spring arrives. Often it seems classes shut down for summer around here. I guess if not we can always wait for fall and just practice with friends in the mean time. :-) So many fun dog things to do and never enough time for them all!

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Top Dog

The rescue I volunteer with posted a picture and short description of a new dog they received. The description said that he's scared and shy and has been violently attacking his back legs and tail, as if they were another dog.

A lady posts an article by CM talking about tail chasing out of excitement, and says that NewDog's tail chewing must be out of excitement.

Yeah, okay....
Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 AM
The Monster.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm All Ears

I've done back to back classes before no problem but it's always been something like agility or teamwork then nosework. Nosework is not a thing the dogs need to really focus on you at all for though. It's all instinct so that might change things. For 6 weeks a little bit ago I was gone from 9-1 pm doing dog stuff but we had breaks in between. And one day we did barnhunt after THAT. But they get breaks a lot.

As far as homework goes sometimes we've been in 4+ classes a week (2 Mia 2 Summer) and it's been fine. I just work each class a couple times a week.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:01 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I can't give mine plush toys, not unless I want a blizzard of stuffing LOL

Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Had a really good day out hiking with Roxie and my grandparents and their little Daschund/Shih Tzu mix, Nora. Nora and Roxie actually got on really well (Nora attacked Roxie once when they (grandparents) first got her).

It was an absolutely beautiful day, even though it was really windy. Just one of those days where everything is right in the world. Gods I love this weather and my dog. Really wish I could've been at the ice age trail, but magnolia is great too.

Gonna spend the rest of today out walking with Roxie.