Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-29-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer wants to let you all know that she wants to meet EVERYONE too.

I swear, she's getting wilder the older she gets. It's cool with me, but no more jumping out car windows. I say there's no rules once you're 9 but that might be the exception.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
I got an email from a breeder I really like to be put on her list for her fall litter. I'm a little freaked out and unsure. Not because I don't love the breed or the breeder -- I just wish I could look into the future and know how everything will/would have played out. I don't know if it's the right decision.

I really want a puppy and I'm becoming somewhat obsessed. But when I start seriously considering life with Dog2...with a puppy...I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. I really REALLY love having just Crossbone. It's awesome and he's perfect. And what if puppy changes that. All the "What ifs"...

It doesn't help that I know we can only have 2 dogs for many reasons, and I'm scared I'm going to make the wrong decision or pick the wrong dog for us. AND I can't narrow it down! There are at least 3 breeds that I'd like for Dog2 and they all have pros & cons.

*deep breath*

It will be okay & everything will happen the way that it should.

...at least, that's what I keep telling myself.
What breed!? I'm curious (ok nosey)
Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Show Dog

Jubel's going in for a sedated oral exam tomorrow. Stinky breath isn't going away and he wiggles and squirms if you try to really examine his teeth beyond lifting a lip to look at the outside of his teeth. Curious to see what they find and potentially how much it'll cost me to treat it. But no more stinky breath will be nice.

I'm happy he's gone about 6 months so far without any illness/infections, hoping he keeps it up. Went in today for just an annual and to get heart guard and frontline. Decided to get basic blood work done since he's 6 now and will be nice to have a healthy baseline before he gets "old".
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Big Dog

Oy! Leo growled at me today when I got too close to his high-value chew. Going to need to do some trading games with him.

After he growled, I took it away (or rather, lured him away and then picked it up), operating under a "you guard it, you lose it" philosophy. Was that the right thing to do? Or is taking it away just reinforcing his guarding?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno did faaaantastic at her agility class today. She was really nervous last week, the trainer is a guy and Juno generally says no to men. She wouldn't go near him last week. Today though she was much happier and didn't mind him being in her space and she went up to him tail wagging looking for treats. That made me happy. That was kind of my only goal for this class.

And then we went to the raw food store where she got doted on.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
After he growled, I took it away (or rather, lured him away and then picked it up), operating under a "you guard it, you lose it" philosophy. Was that the right thing to do? Or is taking it away just reinforcing his guarding?
That could cause him to escalate. Remember he was guarding because he assumed you wanted to take it in the first place, better to teach him you have no interest in his chews. If growling doesn't work some dogs will give up, some dogs will start snapping or worse. I'd start approaching and tossing him treats when he has high value things.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Let it be

Boyfriend found a rehome pup

Faster than I was expecting but whateva she's so darn cute... I was hoping for an adult dog but ah well
Old 03-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Juno did faaaantastic at her agility class today. She was really nervous last week, the trainer is a guy and Juno generally says no to men. She wouldn't go near him last week. Today though she was much happier and didn't mind him being in her space and she went up to him tail wagging looking for treats. That made me happy. That was kind of my only goal for this class.

And then we went to the raw food store where she got doted on.
YAY Juno! Where are you taking classes?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I dislike that I dislike puppies. Is that a thing?

I recently went into the "Oh I could totally do another puppy!" phase. Then I spent an evening with my friend's 5 month old aussie/terrier/something puppy and I remembered how annoying they are. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

But I want purebred dogs from good breeders.

But...ew, puppies.

I am definitely having a First World Problem conundrum. :/

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
That could cause him to escalate. Remember he was guarding because he assumed you wanted to take it in the first place, better to teach him you have no interest in his chews. If growling doesn't work some dogs will give up, some dogs will start snapping or worse. I'd start approaching and tossing him treats when he has high value things.
Eh, honestly, I think it was a proper response. Better to get it picked up and out of the way so he doesn't have a chance to continue the behavior than let him keep it. I assume since she traded he wasn't at all upset that she removed the chew. To this day, trading is the only way one can safely remove a high value object from Chloe...it's hit and miss without trading. And it hasn't in any way reinforced her resource guarding. If anything its helped because she knows we aren't going to take away her chew - she chooses to give us her chew for another awesome thing.

Definitely work with him on it, and I'd avoid giving him the high value items if there is any chance he may become possessive. Chloe only gets chews when contained in another room.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~