Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Default Smoking, pregnant bitches, and puppies

Does anyone know anything about this? The people who smoke do so in their own rooms with the doors closed, but I can smell it it in my room with my door closed. The litter will be in the spring/summer so my windows COULD be open. I plan to get an air purifier (for myself, because the smell)

Input on if the smoking in other areas of the house will negatively affect the litter?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Resident fainting goat

Nicotine from second hand smoke does affect the nervous system of pets and honestly, with newborn pups...I wouldn't do with just a closed door.

I've never SEEN a case of nicotine poisoning in dogs, but I've heard it happens. Not sure about puppies/in another room.
My old vet said there was a link with nasal tumors as well as the usual lung issues from breathing it in (their lungs are a lot smaller, ESPECIALLY baby pups, it wouldn't take much to really do some damage IMO)

An air purifier and windows should be fine, I mean, people smoke around pets all the time it's not like it's going to kill them but...

especially if this litter is in the summer, can't they take the smoking outside? I mean puppies aside... yuck.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Nicotine from second hand smoke does affect the nervous system of pets and honestly, with newborn pups...I wouldn't do with just a closed door.

I've never SEEN a case of nicotine poisoning in dogs, but I've heard it happens. Not sure about puppies/in another room.
My old vet said there was a link with nasal tumors as well as the usual lung issues from breathing it in (their lungs are a lot smaller, ESPECIALLY baby pups, it wouldn't take much to really do some damage IMO)

An air purifier and windows should be fine, I mean, people smoke around pets all the time it's not like it's going to kill them but...

especially if this litter is in the summer, can't they take the smoking outside? I mean puppies aside... yuck.
Yeah, I wish. Im only here temporarily though, so its not my place to start making demands of other people in their own homes

Thanks for the input