Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Nice! We could definitely wait that long. I'm not letting this one outside anyway. He's too cool. lol

What age do they develop the tom cat head? Honestly he'd kind of look awesome with it. He looks like he's going to be one of those cats with a huge poofy ruff.
Usually after they start spraying lol. I'm not sure. I've never really seen it except on toms that have been intact for at least two years, and they're usually indoor/outdoor cats.

You could always just wait and see, some boys never do spray in the house, so are obsessive about it. Like, you could probably wait until he did it once, and then immediately have him neutered before he gets the chance to make it a habit. I'm just not sure, we've always spayed females at four months and males at six-ish months old.

He'll probably grow that ruff anyway, he definitely is going to be longhaired.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Taxiderpy

Nice. I might wait. One time I ran into a lady that was a cat breeder and asked her if she had problems with her toms marking all over the place. She said no, because when they get near the marking age she just kept squirt guns handy and had good aim. Basically she'd just squirt them on their little exposed butt skins the first time they tried spraying and they'd never do it again.

Not sure if that will work on him or if we'll leave him intact long enough for it to be an issue. lol. I don't think my aim is that good anyway.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Nice. I might wait. One time I ran into a lady that was a cat breeder and asked her if she had problems with her toms marking all over the place. She said no, because when they get near the marking age she just kept squirt guns handy and had good aim. Basically she'd just squirt them on their little exposed butt skins the first time they tried spraying and they'd never do it again.

Not sure if that will work on him or if we'll leave him intact long enough for it to be an issue. lol. I don't think my aim is that good anyway.
BWAHAHAHAHA. That is awesome. Good idea too!!

I have deadly squirt gun aim. Comes from years of working in doggie daycare (We would do exactly that to males trying to mark inside the building. lmfao)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Durp Dog

I waited a year for two of my males, and they never sprayed. I was getting paranoid that they would eventually tho lol.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogKisses View Post
I waited a year for two of my males, and they never sprayed. I was getting paranoid that they would eventually tho lol.
Yay! That's pretty reassuring. Strangely enough, the only cats I've ever known that had problems with spraying and inappropriate peeing were female. No idea why because it's the boys that have the reputation. Also, I watch My Cat From Hell a lot and have noticed many times on the show if the cat is peeing around the house it's usually a girl.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Yay! That's pretty reassuring. Strangely enough, the only cats I've ever known that had problems with spraying and inappropriate peeing were female. No idea why because it's the boys that have the reputation. Also, I watch My Cat From Hell a lot and have noticed many times on the show if the cat is peeing around the house it's usually a girl.
We had issues with our female cat spraying, but she had a myriad of behavioral and medical issues causing it. Our males only sprayed due to territory issues, but OMIGOD did it stink! Tom cat urine = gag inducing and it NEVER GOES AWAY. Junior sprayed one of our windows once on the outside of the house and it took weeks for the smell to fully leave the room on the inside. When we would have a tom cat come into the clinic it would stink up the ENTIRE back area. *bleh*

But honestly, I don't know if I really notice a difference in head type on age of neuter.

Junior, RIP, was neutered at around 2 years of age (I think) when he showed up, and this was his build:

An intact male I rescued from being shot who was adopted out:

Compared to, say, my childhood cat who was neutered at a young age:

Or Mikey, also neutered young (and he's still a kitten in this photo):

I think body type and genetics seems to have more of a say in the big fat head than when they were neutered. I mean, yes, keeping them intact would help, but I think if you keep them fit and healthy they'll look just as good, and you don't have to worry about stinky boy pee or aggressive behaviors.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~